Thanks to Doug at BamaChips!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a thank you to Doug at Bamachips for helping me out with my Xcal-2 tunes. I had had some issues with the Check Engine Light coming on with my Xcal tunes. I took the Trac back the the dealer and had them preform the latest TSB on it (07 V8 Trac) and then Doug made me some new tune files for it. They work great, and Doug was quite helpful in helping me troubleshoot the issues.

Thanks again Doug!

A1, do you have the modified TB on your 07 V8? Is there a significant improvement in power with the Xcal? I've been on the fence for a while about the XCal and wonder if it is really worth the investment. Obviously it's a personal decision, but I value everyone's input from their personal expreience.

No, I do not have the modified TB from Zabtek on there. Yet. Kind of waiting on a little more disposable income to come in and a way to keep it under the wife-radar... The tune from Doug though seems to really help out with the throttle response. I like to think that stock, the engine thinks and decides if you really need to press the pedal down all the way or not. How can the ST see that 18-wheeler bearing down on me and decided if I really need the throttle or not??

I got the 87 perf tune, 93 perf tune, and a 93 torq tune (towing). I have never tried the 93 perf tune, but have used the other two and they both had positive results.

As far as power goes, there seems to be more off the line, but that is only with my butt-dyno. No actual number to back it up. The rear tires do break loose if I stomp it now on dry pavement(ntil the fronts grab), but that could be my worn out Michelin Cross-Terrains in combination with the improved throttle response.

A1, thanks for the feedback. That sounds very similar to the results I've seen with my modded TB (and not having the Xcal). Overall throttle response and off the line acceleration are both greatly improved with just the TB so i'm trying to convince myself that the XCal will really take it to the next level. Just don't want to spend the $$ and end up disappointed by minimal power gains....

Try giving one of the sponsors who sell the xcal a call and see what they say. Doug has been really helpful, but I have heard good things about the other Xcal sponsors as well. There is a lot of information on the Bamachips site too. You can get there from clicking on the site sponsors link from the MYST site.

I don't use any of the site sponsors for my tuning (Nothing personal, just pre-existing business relationships), but I can promise that tuned vs. stock is like nitrous vs. nothing.

How do you verify results? I have a Harley that I have 100+ pulls on a dyno. I was thinking about how you would dyno a automatic trans truck. It there a way to dissable the downshift so you can get a torque curve for an entire RPM range? I would suspect that you would not run it in low gear as the ration would give you odd results.

So what kina MPG gain was thee with your Bamachips tune!?

I am debating between tuners right now.....its hard when both the site sponsors sell the same type of product!!

*** I want a tune that will give me good gas mileage along with better throttle response Day to Day . A little extra power would be nice, but lets face it.....im not going to be "RACING" anybody!!! I do not need a traditional "Performance" tune with all out HP! I traded in my ROUSH remember!! haha

Or am I totally off my rocker here wanting to get better perf/throttle response and better gas mileage at teh same time!?

Last edited by a moderator:
BUMP!

Anyone else have tunes from Bamachips in thier 07+ V8!?

What are the tunes like?

MPG Gains

PERF GAINS?

thanks

I do realize that...but there are people on here that do have the tune from Bamachips.

Just cause they are not a sponsor does not mean they do not exist. There are actually 4 different vendors I am debating on for my SCT Xcal and Tune purchase.

Bamachips (Doug)

FastPartsNetwork (Torrie)

VMP Tuning (Justin)

Blow By Racing (Chris)

Looking for the best support form someone who is going to be around for a while that will offer any Updates for free.....and someone who has good reviews on the specific tunes. I know Bamachips is great for thier mustang tunes, just trying to see what they are like on the ST tunes.

I am well aware of the GREAT tunes and opinions on Torrie's product.....

...but there are people on here that do have the tune from Bamachips.

I am well aware of that too. But, I choose to support our site sponsor to help keep the site going. But, if I did get a tune & XCal from Bamachips then I would certainly go back to them. I went to Torrie at Unleashed Tuning because Bamachips was no longer a site sponsor and the person I got my XCal from is no longer in business.

I can see both sides of this opinion however I do favor IceMan's view in that I don't want a tune that becomes second hand in a few months and have to pay again once they finally get the tranny tune figured out, or if I do some other type of mod that needs to be incorporated into another tune to perform to it's greatest potential. I'd like to think that if I add a TB or exhaust at a later date I could call the person I purchased from and ask if they could update my tune and have it e-mailed to me.

Supporting site sponsors should of course be our first priority but I'm not going to buy something from a site sponsor strictly because they are a sponsor, everyone has their own idea of what feels good and if a non sponsors tune is more in line to what I'm looking for and the support is there I will buy from them.

Latest posts