That's what I call good service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
I had a custom cat back exhaust system installed on my Trac just prior to the Dallas meet, and the shop recommended a set of "dark chrome" exhaust tips. When I arrived at Dallas, I noticed that one of the tips had a rainbow pattern on it. After returning home, both tips had changed color, and whatever was used to darken the chrome had burned off.

I returned to the exhaust shop yesterday, and they seemed pretty suprised about the tips changing color. They were also suprosed by how hot the ST's exhaust gets. Anyhow, they replaced the tips with bright chrome, and rebuilt the divider they used to get the dual exhaust tips since the original one made a buzzing sound at low rpm's and a loud hiss at high rpm's. Total cost to me: $0.

Before the Dallas meet, I felt that the IMCO muffler may be a little too loud. But after listening to the other systems at the meet, it sounds about right.

Todd - Where did you have this done? I am looking into this and since we'tr in the same area I will probably check this place out. Thanks - Heather

Heather in KC - The discoloration was the tint that was applied to darken the chrome burning off. Where the tint had completely burned off, the chrome was bright and looked fine.

Heather in NY - I went to Mufflerman on Delaware in Kenmore. They're a couple of intersections South of Sheridan, across from the Ford dealer.

Cool deal, I went with the 2.5 inch SS tips, No issues.

How does it sound??

Todd Z

I've got a couple of spund clips in my library of the original setup. With the revised splitter the sound is cleaner. I'll have to grab my minidisc and make a new recording.