the best exhaust for our ST's

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris MacAdams 2

Reaction score
What do you guys think the best sounding and best performance exhaust system is for the gen1 ST's, i've got an 05 with just a single in/out 40series with 2.5inch pipe and i like it but im wondering if something else would sound and or perform better, Any thoughts?

yea i've listened to all of them but the only problem is that most of them also have either y-pipe or high flow cats so i can't determine wheater it the muffler that sounds good or the whole set up

If it were me, I would want to hear the whole setup. BTW - Those sound clips were done in '03 by Spaceman (i.e. Ed Malines) at the 2nd Annual National Meet behind the hotel. Spaceman also has a manual tranny like mine. You can also go to individual exhaust manufacturers web sites to hear sound clips. I personally wanted to get the quietest sound on the market, so I went with a FM 70 Series Big Block single-in / duel (2") out to each side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply removing the stock muffler gives you the MOST performance your going to get......

Any thing other then the y-pipe or cat is just going to be sound only..

Todd Z

Jim it is all about sound preferance....

If you like that tinny hollow flowmaster sound, or dyno max or magnaflow, or even a meiniky "turbo" muffler...

I would recommend a good brand just for longevity...

IF flowmaster, and you keep the stock 2.25 inch pipe a 40 or 50 series will work. BUT the 50 does not have that signature Flowmaster sound, so then the 40....

The 40 will be slightly louder also..

Todd Z