The Grim Reaper Build

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just thought I would update you on the build.

-I got the body lift installed as well as the suspension lift.

-The bumpers/skirts were painted to match and installed.

-New step sides

-New bull guard

-New roof basket and custom fab'd cross bars

-New curt drop hitch

-Mac cold air intake

-Bug deflector

-SCT X3 tuner thanks to Torrie

-18x10" Moto Metal wheels with Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5 tires

To Install:

-My new Pioneer head unit and back up cam.

-New door speakers, amp, battery cap, and fiberglass subwoofer box for dual 12"s

-20" LED Light bar for bull guard and 40" LED Light bar for roof rack and switches

-Black head lights/turns

-Smoked tail lights

-All LED bulbs and LED flasher

I will post more pictures soon :)

All lifted and looking goofy!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I love how simple these wheels are... although I wish they were 100% black like I thought when I ordered them.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Dirty and not completely done, but you get the idea :)

[Broken External Image]:

My 40" LED Light Bar that's going on the roof rack... I can't wait to fire this up!

[Broken External Image]:

I'm going to smoke the tails Monday and I think this is what I'll do.

[Broken External Image]:

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Looks good man. :banana:

I thought you were building it for offroad use though? What srep bars are those? :eek:nline:

Still needs a manly bumper instead of the bulldog underbite bull bar. :grin:

Like this one...

[Broken External Image]:

You know I'm just messing with ya. :haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks real nice Ben!! Good job so far. I really like the roof basket. Did you fabricate that yourself?

Also what kind of step bars are those? I like them! I like the look of the taillights. That's what you should go for! Tint them front windows too.

Btw still no sign of miss ST driver with fender flares. Still looking though.

What did you change to get the amber foglights, lenses or bulbs? I tried LED but they were garbage, didnt even light up the road. :throwup:

@Kyle

Thanks man, it's getting there slowly...

@travis

I know man, keep me posted on what you end up having in this swap. I'm also curious to see what it does to RPM's at 70mph... probably way too high to drive at that speed.

@Jerry

I'm building it to make it through a ton of snow and mud so I can make it to work... not sure what doesn't scream off road about it? The step sides are custom fabricated ones made for an F-150. Sorry to be so blunt Jerry and I know you're joking, but that is probably one of the most hideous, half ass, back woods homemade bolt ons I've ever seen. That would definitely not fit my theme :grin:

@Tyler

I hear you bro... my first ST wasn't much when I was in college, then I graduated and got a big ass paycheck :)

@Arturo

Thanks bro! The basket I got off the net, but I did fab up the custom rails so it would sit as low as possible. I also fab'd up the step sides on it, they were made for an F-150. The heads and tails are getting smoked tomorrow and I got the windows tinted hours after taking that picture.

@Jeffksf

I added 1" spacers for the wheels so I had to cut the stock bolts so they didn't stick out too far.

@RedRanger

For the yellow fogs, I changed out the lenses and then just added some 3000k bulbs to them as well. It's way better looking now!

@KL

I had an 03 before I got this 01 and it had disk brakes... I can't stand the drums on these. I need to check into it and see what it takes to swap out. Do you have any clue?

There's a guy on Explorer Forum selling what you'd need to get started on a disk brake conversion. Includes a rear diff cover and some other goodies I'm forgetting. $200 for all of it if I remember correctly.

Just make sure to keep an eye on the drop bracket getting bent back. I've seen a few guys have issues with that. They often don't find out until they try to remove it, though. Another issue guys have had with the Superlift is the plow effect it has in mud or snow. Make sure to update us on your impressions of it. I don't see why it would be that much different but those are some of the issues I've read about.

Also, be sure to keep an eye out on your hub bearings and ball joints. I'm sure you already know this and it's part of having 35s. The spacers are going to add even more strain, though.

BTW, those Trail Grapplers look mean.

I don't think he's around here any longer, but there was a member of this site called Caymen who converted his Gen 1 ST to rear discs and was almost always trying to get the rest of us to do the same. The disc brake evangelist lol.

There's even an ancient project writeup on this site for how to go about it, I don't know if you've seen it already so I'll post it just in the event that you haven't:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/RearBrakeConversion/RearBrakeConversion.htm

Swapping out an 8.8 from a later ST would seem easier to me. Plus, you could sell your current 8.8 to a Jeep guy as they're always looking for them.

I know you're going for looks and wanting functionality but you can spend way less for it, jmo. Tou have more invested in the Superlift then I have in all my mods (including wheels and tires) put together. I use my rig for towing, trailin', daily driver and show truck (I've won plenty of awards with it).

I like the look of your truck but it's too pretty to take offroad, jmo. That's not an insult, I'd be pissed if I put that much money in it and it got trashed offroading. You're building a great looking Trac, keep up the good work.

Here's a better picture of my modified ARB winch bumper...

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I gained 13" inches of approach angle over the factory plastic bumper cover and have an actual bumper that can and has taken hits.

@Ben, as KL mentioned, Caymen (from Ohio) was always willing to help a ST Member with his hands on and technical knowledge about the ST. He may still have a profile here and may respond to an email about the Rear Disc Brake project he did.

Finally got some time to clean her up today so I thought I would post some pictures... enjoy!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]: