The rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
Ok I know this timing chain issue has been talked to death but. I just took my car to a shop to order the timing chain asym. and one of the guys came out to help me figure out which set was making the noise. using a piece of wood like a stethoscope he listened to various parts of the motor and after this he said it was not a timing chain problem at all. He claims its a fuel injector. He had me listen to the valve cover on the passenger side and it did seem to emanate from this area. However, the crac crac crac... that I hear seems to be typical to what everyone else says is a timing chain problem.

The sport trac is a 2001 Job 2 and it rattles at start up sometimes and also if you rev the engine to 2700 rpm a quieter rattle creeps up muffled by the engine.

I know you all have heard this before but I would love for it just to be a fuel injector

I don't think it would be possible to get a timing chain rattle confused for a fuel injector operating, they are 2 completely different noises. If the noise was coming from under the valve covers it is possible that it may be a cam follower or possibly still the t-chain but I don't think you would hear a fuel injector through the valve cover.

I took my truck t the dealer for the same problem about a year ago. Dont remember what was wrong ill find the paper work and post but it cost like 4000.00 dollars and a 5 week rental. and now its doing it again.

I have an 04 that started having some kind of rattle which I could only assume was the infamous timing chain rattle. It occured only when the engine was cold, with cold ambient temperatures, and WOT around 2700rpms. The noise occured only under these conditions. I don't hear it when the Trac is parked and idling or revved. The chattering I do hear when I listen to the engine w/ the hood open, are probably the fuel injectors and I think the noise is normal.

One last thing: Several thousand miles ago, the timing chain rattle has largely disappeared. Then again, I don't drive my Trac to work so early in the morning any more, plus the arrival of summer means warmer temps. overall. Temperature is the only variable I can think of so, we'll see if the rattle reappears next Winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts