thermostat housing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Weicht

Reaction score
anyone every changed out their upper and/or their lower thermostat housing piece in a 2001 - 2004 or whatever year they decided to change that piece from a plastic to non plastic? got through the regular thermostat replacement project posted a while back just fine, but damn ha. having some trouble gettin to that lower housing part and getting that loosened up and changed out. any pointers and/or help appreciated. only have 1 bolt to go to get it loosened up but after that gotta get it out and hooked back up

They don't make it in metal...

Takes some time to do, But once changed it will lat a long time..

Todd Z

Removing the throttle body will open up alot of room. A 8mm 1/4 inch drive swivel socket is also a must for this job...don't know how you would get the rear bolt out without removing the plenum without it. Get a new water pump bypass hose and just cut the old one off...the new one will be much easier to put on then trying to reuse the old one. Whne you remove the sensors form the old housing to transfer to the new housing the o-rings will have to be replaced or they won't seal in the new housing. Ford does not sell just the o-rings, they make you buy the whole sensor. Just go to your local auto parts store and get a o-ring that will work...there's nothing special about them

looked what you saved, I paid $137 labor to have mine done & a total of $339.44 [parts, labor & taxes]

I just had to purchase a thermosat housing because mine cracked. Dealer only part $300.00 WTF at least it came with all the sensors and O rings. I guess I'm used to my old Chevy housings that used to cost $5.00 or so and were made out of metal. :(

Plastics it's the future, now where did I hear that from.:lol:

Did mine about a month ago. Got the housing without sensors for $50 from Fast Ford Parts. Not a bad job, but I decided not to take off the Plenum witch made getting that back bolt out and back in a little more difficult.

Boodro