things that i should replace.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan betts

Reaction score
alright, my 2001 trac has just about 61,000 miles. is there anything that i should look at getting replaced soon ( like spark plugs, ETC.).

Thanks, Ryan

plugs,wires,fuel filter,pcv valve if you want,tire rotation oil change and a todd z throttle body wouldnt hurt either.

paul h

I would do the maintenance that the manual calls for. You could replace the plugs and wires now but I would wait until 100k. I would keep an eye on the front upper & lower control arms and wheel bearing. I have started to run fuel injector cleaner through about once a month. Definately replace your shocks if you have not done so.

thanks for the advice! i wanted to buy a todd z throttle body and shocks but im reely hurting for money ( college kid with no schollarships :( ) my tires are cupped, but i have a set of good years sitting in the garage ( should be on very soon :) ).

The shocks should be replace almost from day one, something to seriously consider. The OEM shocks are of very low quality...

I have an 05 Adrenlin and find the ride just about right for me. What do people base their findings on bad shocks on? I in no way thrash my truck, maybe thats it.

The OEM shocks gave me a very soft ride, I'll give em that. It's a luxury truck so I think Ford actually knew what they were doing. But their softness was not compatible with my driving habits so I went with stiffer shocks early on.

At 60,000 you should do a coolant flush (if you haven't yet), tranny flush, transfer case fluid (if 4x4). I'd do the spark plugs just so they don't get frozen in there, fuel filter.

Sell it, Buy an 07...... HAHAHAHA :lol: :lol::lol::p:p

Could not resist when called out!!!!

Seriously,

Air filter, Fuel filter, Coolant, IF 4wd, Transfer Case and Transmission fluid.

This stuff is recommended at 100K but I highly recommend you do it now

Front Diff, Power steering fluid, Brake fluid, Serp belt, PCV, Plugs and wires.

Yeah, I am doing everything at 60K, I can do most my self, But I think this would be a lot if you had to pay someone to do it all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at replacing all the hoses and belts that you know have not been replaced in the past 3 years. The rubber deteriorates more with time than by mileage. So any original belts and hoses should be replaced ASAP. You don't have to do them all at once, but start with one or two every couple of weeks.

...Rich

by the time i do all that, i might as well get the '08. i could put it on order now and get it next year this time....if im lucky....thanks guys i have the same year and mileage so this helps a ton.

dan,

If you get a new vehicle every 3 years or so, you will not have to pay much if any mainenance cost. Most repairs will be covered under your warranty and by the time belts and hoses start to rot with age you will be driving a brand new vehicle.

Ryan has a 2001 Sport Trac. That's a 6-7 year old vehicle, and we don't know what kind of maintenance he has performed on the truck over the years. If he has been maintaining the vehicle regularly, there is probably little if anything special he has to do beyound the usuall oil and filter change, etc.

Remember, there are people who don't even check their tire pressures in 5 years!

...Rich

I recently bought my ST 4 months ago with an extended 2yr.warranty from a Dodge dealer. I really need to take it to a reliable mechanic to have it looked at and advise me on what needs to be done. the truck is rather clean for an 01. A woman owned it and she used it as a daily commuter for dropping off her children. Thanks for the info.

The Valvoline Qwicky-Lube near my house does diff fluid changes for $39.99, now they use synthetic too. Don't even think about trying to do the front any other way.