Thinking of moving into a Honda Ridgeline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys

My lease on my 05 ST is up in March, and considering I will have about 140,000km's on my ST, I was not sure it's worth it to buy out my lease of $16,000. I will likely have to pay $1,6000 with over mileage but that is part of leasing.

I was thinking of looking at a used Honda Ridgeline, probably a 2006 or so, with hopefully not too many km's. Any of you guys own one, or know of others who have the truck? Overall reactions? Is it worth it for me to find one in Canada that has come from the U.S.? These typically have lower mileage, better price, but run the risk of having to make sure you have a complete history, etc.

I was intrigued for the longest while with the Hona Ridgeline as compared with my 05 ST.

Still driving the ST!!!

Although, I felt the HRL had a much tighter fit in both body & interior than the ST, I just couldn't get over the bed. Same bed size and although I'm 6'3", I couldn't load the bed over the "slanted" sides.

The bed lockers were nice but how2 many 6 packs can one carry in em? Bet I can fit just as many in the rear passenger compartment ion my 05.

Just saying!!!

Good luck in whatever you may decide.

I was looking at the HRL when we purchased our Pilot last year. I had no intention of purchasing it, but the sales guy let me take one out for a ride. I thought the interior was roomie, and the ride was much more comfortable and quieter then the ST; and of course, .... it's a HONDA. The dam things never die. Con: maybe it is just a personal nit, but I did not like the "overall look" and I liked the bed of the ST much better.

You cannot go wrong with a Honda.

Dan

great comments guys. I have had NOTHINGS wrong with my ST and love it. But, the miles are up there, and the price difference between a used HRL and my current buyout on the ST is only about 6-7k. I'm not sure the bed size is different on the two trucks, it does look like the HRL might be a bit higher? I would need a cover on the Honda, and I believe it's easier to get to my things in that truck than my ST. I will know in a while what I will do, unless a good deal comes at me before.

A couple things to consider about the Ridgeline. It's a great ride as long as you don't need a true 4wd system, or a sizeable tow capacity. I personally, don't like the looks, but I'm partial to my ST. I had an Element before my Trac. It was a good ride for the price, but it didn't fit my needs. Honda is a very good car builder, but they leave a little to be desired in the suv/truck catagory. My opinion....

Not to be a Kill Joy...BUT...I thought the same thing "can't go wrong with a Honda"...Boy was I wrong!!!!

2001 Civic here for my 16 year old just starting out, and hating every minute ot it!!!!

70K miles and transmission cooked!!! Not to mention the "other" things!!!

Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!

Although most don't know the details of Honda, I remember Tom (Caymen) stating this site was "interesting". To say the least!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
must say, as we know the ridge is a more reliable vehicle.

but i always thought the trac has a great / unique look.

gen 2 trac's have more power than the ridge.

imo, its, apples and oranges.

test drive it a few times, as well as a new trac and compare

good luck

I somewhat thought about a used-new Trac but not sure I'd get it at the price I want. I think if you ask 100 people about a truck, movie, etc, you will get many various answers. Buying used from the U.S. kind of scares me living in Canada. Even if I get a detailed history of the truck what recourse do I have if something is wrong with it?

If I recall correctly this subject was discussed a couple of yrs. ago. The Ridgeline is build off a car frame, and the ST is built off a truck frame. If you've had no problems with the leased ST, buy it off the lease. At least you know what you're getting.

We checked out the Ridgeline prior to checking out the Sport Trac. One of the mechanics at the shop I use has one and raved about it. My wife and daughter liked the comfort. I liked the locking, watertight luggage compartment under the bed. I carry guns and stuff for work and worry about the security of it all. I had a hard time getting used the the sides of the bed, from an esthetic standpoint and a practical (loading, straddling with lumber, etc.) standpoint.

I went and checked out a 2 yr. old Sport Trac XLT. I went with the Sport Trac. I still think it looks better than the Honda and was a better value. I don't regret my purchase, but when my 05 needs replacement I'll take another look at the Ridgeline. Besides, there may be no Sport Tracs available when that day comes.

I could be mistaken too, but I believe the HRL has the sparetire in a hidden compartment in the bed of the truck. This keep it dry and clean, BUT how do you get to it if you have a load of lumber or anything else in the bed?? You gotta unload your cargo on the side of the highway to change a flat tire... not exactly convenient.

Everytime I look at a Ridgeline I am glad I bought my Trac. Now if it would have been a choice between a Gen 1 Trac and a Ridgeline I would have bought the Ridgeline.