Third brake light out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
Guys, got pulled over for a third brake light out warning. Got home, figured its just a bulb, and it looked like it. Replaced. Still wouldn't work. checked fuse, replaced, no change. replaced bulb with one I knew worked, replaced fuse with one I knew worked, no change.

All the other break lights work. I have an 05 Adrenalin. so what can you tell me?

I would get a volt meter to see if the 12Vdc is there when the light should be on. If there is no 12V, at least you know which side of the circuit to troubleshoot. If you do see 12V, then manually provide the missing ground. If that gets it to light, troubleshoot break in the ground wire.

I concur with Uncle Bob, you have to test the wires running to the housing. Gotta be a disconnected/ pinched wire somewhere in there. Not hard to trace just get a $2 test light from a parts store and start testeing the wires in different spots to track down the brake. :banana:

I THINK the brake light switch on the brake pedal has two feeds. One for the regular brakes and one for the high mounted light.

See if you have voltage coming into as well as out of the switch when the pedal is pushed.

Thanks guys, I will pull out both my voltmeter and my current detector, see if I have anything. Now I delve into the unknown! I never worked on cars electrical, just home. Will see if I can electrocute myself!:supercool:

When you are checking your lights you are having someone step on the brake pedal while you are checking correct? That high mount brake light is only that a brake light and will not light up must by turning on the running lights, I know that sounds funny but I have seen people make this mistake :grin:

Sorry Eddie, lol. Yeah, what was I trying to say!!!! I must have been half asleep when I typed that......

Awhile back I thought my high mount light was out because when I turned on my headlights/running lights all my lights came on except the high mount brake light. So I thought it was not working, but the idiot that I am finally realized that it was only a brake light and only lights up when the brake pedal is pressed (yes duh!). I was just making sure he was not making the same mistake I did, sounds like he is not, but you never know. :O)

OK I now got it...

WE are all alowed a couple of dumb-guys a week..LOL

Back when VW put the wiper control on, the early bugs. Bill Cosby said, he reached for the turn signal, but got the wipers. When they came on. The sound from the dry windsheid was, dumb-guy, dum-guy...LOL

I think the ground wire for the third brake light is the same wire that is used for the rear interior light. Could be a loose screw and the interior light works but the High Center Rear Light is out. I concur on a seperate line/circuit for the center brake lights. I have a 03', there is a seperate wire for "chmsl" center high mount stop light located under the rear bumper by the center hitch area.

Latest posts