Thought this was interesting on Yahoo News about 2 gas saving tips

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well duh, but I figure that there are those that are not as anal about our vehicles as us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 15-Minute Tip: Err on the Side of More Air

by Jennifer Openshaw

Friday, April 18, 2008

provided by MarketWatch

Two simple steps can save you hundreds of dollars each year in gas costs

Instead of driving all over town looking for cheaper gas, consider this: A little more air in the right places can save you a lot of gas -- and money.

This is what I mean: More air in your tires, and a clean air filter. And this money-saving tip won't take you even 15 minutes a month.

You can increase gas mileage up to 10% just by changing your air filter, according to the EPA's FuelEconomy.com site.

The air filter is a piece of thick corrugated paper with a rubber ring around it. And boy, does it get dirty. Like your furnace filter, but your house doesn't move. All that dust and smoke you drive through in your car? It becomes a dark grey or brown coating on your air filter. And that prevents your engine from getting enough clean air.

It's very easy to change the air filter on many cars. Most filters cost $5 to $15, according to the manager of a local AutoZone store. Two screws or a couple of clips, five minutes, and it's replaced.

Inflation due to under-inflation

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates one-in-four cars and one-in-three light trucks and SUVs has one or more tires under-inflated by 8 pounds per square inch (psi) or more.

I could always tell when the tires on my 2005 Focus were not at 35psi. When they were set at 35, I got 22, 23 mpg. When they were at 32, I got 19, 20. Of course, it had a sealed air cleaner so the filter could NOT be serviced. I keep both my Trac and my wife's Explorer set at 35, too.

Uh, a SEALED air cleaner? Are you just supposed to drive it until the air cleaner is full, then get another one?:huh:

The 2.0 and 2.3 Duratec engines used on the 2003-2007 Focus had a 100,000 mile air filter. It had a minder like the diesel air cleaners have on them. It was supposed to help with the emissions. Heaven help you if you had one and needed it replaced outside of warranty! It's a $285 air filter not counting labor! Ford realized the error of their ways and went back to a regular filter for 2008.

Some people on the Focus message boards I frequent take the sealed box out and replace it with a K&N cone, the problem with that is the filter is at the bottom of the motor. Run through a deep puddle, and it's bye-bye motor!

Ford requires the tire pressure @ 30 on my wifes Escape. I keep them @ 33. She gets almost 20mpg combination driving. It is the 3.0L duretec V6. I got 27mpg on a 200mile highway trip @ 75mph. It is an '08 with 6k miles, I expect it to get better.

Latest posts