Thumping noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Cronin

Reaction score
Here is a head scratcher for you all. I have been looking and looking for somthing that has been making a thumping noise under my truck. Even the guys at the Ford service department has been trying to find it.

Keep in mind this is a 2007 4X4 with 40,000 miles.

You can hear it while drive down the road turning and/or driving straight. It is only felt on the front floor boards, and pedels. You can not feel it in the steering. Starts at about 20MPH and does not have a pattern. If you gas it, it seems to go away. If you set the trans in neutral it seems to change. So its happening under light loads. But its not in the engine or drivetrain. Maybe around it.

It a low pitch sound and sometimes it hits hard sometimes its hard to notice it. It does not change with the changing of speeds.

Its NOT the wheel bearings, steering, engine, exhaust, drivetrain (or transmission), brakes, suspension, or tires and wheels. Only thing I can think of at this point is its a body mount, bushing, or something.

Any idea you have will help. Thanks.

Here is a head scratcher for you all. I have been looking and looking for somthing that has been making a thumping noise under my truck. Even the guys at the Ford service department has been trying to find it.

Keep in mind this is a 2007 4X4 with 40,000 miles.

You can hear it while drive down the road turning and/or driving straight. It is only felt on the front floor boards, and pedels. You can not feel it in the steering. Starts at about 20MPH and does not have a pattern. If you gas it, it seems to go away. If you set the trans in neutral it seems to change. So its happening under light loads. But its not in the engine or drivetrain. Maybe around it.

It a low pitch sound and sometimes it hits hard sometimes its hard to notice it. It does not change with the changing of speeds.

Its NOT the wheel bearings, steering, engine, exhaust, drivetrain (or transmission), brakes, suspension, or tires and wheels. Only thing I can think of at this point is its a body mount, bushing, or something.

Any idea you have will help. Thanks.
That is a head scratcher, how about trans mount? Any rubber mount... Transfer case? I guess you would get oil leak with that?
I'm a little crazy but I would mount a Go Pro type cam under my Truck [well secured of course] and drive around until you get that hard thump and see what it is.
Things like that get under my skin...
Good luck, keep us updated!

Good luck, keep us updated!
Great to see helpful people and more activity on this site, but this thread is dated Feb. 5, 2009.

Last post from the OP was Feb. 25, 2009.

IMO, no harm in reviving a 10+ year old thread. Just mentioned in case you were expecting an answer from the OP.

Reviving old threads can be very useful to people who haven't read them yet, especially if there's a definitive solution.

IMO, no harm in reviving a 10+ year old thread. Just mentioned in case you were expecting an answer from the OP.

Reviving old threads can be very useful to people who haven't read them yet, especially if there's a definitive solution.
Funny you should mention Them being helpful.
A second thought could have been loose lug nuts, even on just one wheel. Crazy sounds!
Just a thought and I am 100% sure your right, there will be No reply...
Always Check them lug nuts especially after changing one or replacing all the tires.
Back when I was a teen and selling and changing tires on model T's at the dealership we never torked the one giant lug nut. Wasn't even considered...

I NEVER go to shops to rotate my tires. Only time is when I'm balancing or replacing tires.
Torque wrench for tightening lug nuts and impact wrench for loosening. Auto shop 101.

All it takes is one trigger happy monkey with an impact to eff things up. Broken or cross threaded lugs, warped rotors, damaged rims, etc. BTDT, never again.

I NEVER go to shops to rotate my tires. Only time is when I'm balancing or replacing tires.

All it takes is one trigger happy monkey with an impact to eff things up. Broken or cross threaded lugs, warped rotors, damaged rims, etc. BTDT, never again.
Millenniums just dont care...
Just my opinion and observation.
There our new work force now.
Better to do it at home! Then you wont hear those chunk and clunk sounds.
Have a great weekend.

center carrier bearing is a good suggestion..
I used to have a Hillman Vogue with a split driveshaft, after 1000 miles from S. Africa to Harare Zimbabwe, it started thumping.. was able to find a shade tree mechanic to replace the u-joint but the rubber around the bearing was destroyed and no parts available.. a couple slices of radiator hose wedged in there, got me another 30k miles ;-)