Tie down stains?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to control the residue stains left on the bed sides by the black rubber tie downs on the pickup bed? The stains clean easily but reappear too soon after the next rain.

I have owned 7 SportTracs and each one that was a lighter paint color ie white or gold had the problem. I am assuming other owners have the same issue thus pics not needed.

I have a gold 07. I do not have this issue?... I agree with Gavin, uploading photos of what you are talking about might help find an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Silver Trac now. Have had a blue and a maroon one in the past. I don't know what you are talking about. Good luck with it, whatever it is.

I have a Silver Trac now. Have had a blue and a maroon one in the past. I don't know what you are talking about. Good luck with it, whatever it is.

I know exactly what you mean Steve. I had a white gen 1 and now a white gen 2 both had the streaking problem. Mine showed the most from the center tie-down. I had assumed that was caused by something coming from the center fold in the tonneau cover. I am not sure but now I figure it is either material leeching from the hard rubber parts or it just a collection of dust and dirt that gets channeled under the tie-downs. As you said, either way, once it dries, it just wipes off easily with a dry rag.

Dan, Never thought of cleaning the bed cover hinges....will try it. I will also take extra time to clean around each tie down. My SportTrac spends most of its time outside so it may be air pollution collecting in the hinges and around the tie downs. Thanks and I was starting to think needed to make an eye appt!

I get those runs in the wintertime on my Black 2003 when I dont wash it much. I shortened my t shirt grabbers as in the project section. I dont notice the runs as much since doin that alteration. :argue:

I have a white 2003 and yes, I have the leeching plastic stain issue. I have never found a way to stop it from happening. Not sure its the tie downs or if it is the the bed plastic that leeches out.

IIRC, the stock bolts are black oxide coated and known to corrode and sometimes even seize. Replace them and I'll bet it stops.

Steve- These threads were for the Gen 1 but I imagine the 2007-10 would be similar.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315604

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378962

Found this too. :banghead:

Well...I think my mystery is solved. Today I installed my new Zabtek stainless steel bolts for my tie downs. The bolts removed effortlessly, even the rearmost ones. The bolts looked fine. There was no corrosion or any residue to account for the perpetual stains down the sides of my bed.

However, the cavity behind each tie down contained a collection of grime which I believe was the cause. I suspect rain or wash water would seep behind each tie down, soften some grime and slowly leave a new stain each time. I thoroughly scrubbed each cavity and now we will see what happens after the next rain.

Latest posts