Tie rods ends

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking in projects but it appears there is no info on replacing inner and out tie rod ends. Can someone help me out on the procedures and pitfalls of this project?

I did my own ball joints and outer tie rod ends. Since I needed a front end alignment and inner tie rod ends, I just had my favorite independent shop do the inner ones and the alignment. I didn't have the tool necessary to replace the inner ones. I made sure the replacements were Moog brand.

Outer tie rod ends only requires your basic tools, hammer, sockets, adjustable wrenches. The inner tie rod ends require only one special tool you can rent from local auto supplier. After performing the replacement of both you'll want to get an alignment for sure. Some zip-ties for the inner rod boots are advised.

If you you tube any inner and outer change they are essentially universal training.

Youtube has some really good videos on this. Try searching "ford explorer tie rod replacement"

Well I changed out the inner and outer tie rod ends in a little over an hour. Not that hard with the right tool and a video from you tube :supercool::driving:

Latest posts