Time to Consider a Mileage Tune?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
Now that gas is $4.54 / gallon and likely to climb :blink: , is it time to consider a mileage tune for use with my SCT/Xcalibrator?

I've got the regular gas performance tune running now, but with gas costing so much I'm wondering if going for a mileage tune will help at all? I don't pull a trailer or much of a load.

Just drive your performance tune with a lighter foot. I can/have get/gotten 450 miles out of a tank with my 93 performance tune, it's just not how I like to drive.

You will NOT be happy with a MPG tune, IT cuts the power soo much that you will burn more gas hitting the throttle more to go.....

As Jeff said the performance tune will do the trick..... Worst case the tuner can drop the timing and lean out the fuel mix a little to get you some highway MPG.

Todd Z

Yep, stay off of the loud pedal. I tried a mileage tune a while back and it was a whole lot of no fun. No power and short shifting.

I agree with Jeff and Todd. If you already have a performance tune, you probably will not be happy with an economy tune, and there won't be much difference in the mileage. If you can control you right foot and go easy on the pedal, you might be suprized how much of an improvment you can get in your gas mileage.

If you are itching to spend money to save gas, I would recommend getting a ScanGauge or other similiar trip computer that displays instantanious MPG and average MPG and it will show you exactly what are good driving habits to save gas, and bad driving habits that eat up your gas mileage.

I don't have my Sport Trac anymore, but my new car has a computer that displays Average MPG that is continuously monitoring your gas usage and it really has opened my eyes to what works and doesn't and it's not as hard as many people think.

...Rich

Yea...I have a ScanGuageII in my car and watching the fuel consumption helps me keep my throttle foot in check. Ok, just thought I'd see if the mileage tune would help.

Thanks for the info. I'll stick to my current performance tune.

So, there is no top secret, Sport Trac Web Site Imperial Level Members' Only Tune wherein both performance and mileage improve by 50% and also renders your vehicle invisible to radar and intersection cameras?

D'oh, no wonder people call me gullible.

Latest posts