timing chain guides

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha,

I have a nasty rattle when I first start in the am. From what I have read here, it could be the timing chain guides. The dealer wants $1800. to replace the front and rear. I haven't yet put my ear under the hood and started the engine but in your experience, does the front wear before the rear? That is about $500.

Thanks for your thoughts!! Ed

What you are hearing is a "dry start". The oil is being drained back into the oilpan by a bad "flowback valve" in the oilfilter. Mine does it all the time and the only time it didn't was when I used a Pureone Oilfilter.;)

I had the front one in mine replaced at 120,000 miles. It rattled on startup and between 2600 - 3000rpms. I currently have 153,000 and the back chain is still fine. To do the rear they have to take out the motor. So if they take out the motor they should give you a break on doing the front chain.

Hey Stonemaster,

What a quick reply. I hope that you are right but I also hear a sound similar to a ping which some have said is a symptom of the guides. I am using a Ford oil filter, would another brand be better. I will use anything but Fram.

Tks Ed

I have had the dry start-up when using Motorcraft, Autolite, Fram, and Super Tech filters. Like I said, the Pureone filter seemed to keep it from happening. NAPA Gold filters are the same as Pureone. My ST sounds like a deisel when going up hill when I use 87 oct gas. I run 89 oct and it does it a hell of alot less. 92K miles on mine and I haven't replaced the guides/timing chain. Not saying it doesn't need it, but I'd try these cheaper things first. Just my opinion.;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the filter mounted upside down, like a cup?

If so, how would the oil drain out of it? Please explain. This is something I do not no or maybe it was something I new, but I forgot.

Tom

Aloha Caymen,

I think what Stonemiser means is the oil leading up to the filter can run back into the sump if there is no check valve to stop it, right? I will look for a K&N over here (not much in Hilo) or get one from NAPA if you guys think NAP has good filters. Thanks for all your help and I hope that you are correct.

God bless Ed

If it happens only when first starting in the am then chances are that you have a tesioner bleeding down as long as you have no other noises. I have cured tons of these by replacing the 2 tensioners.

Rear...

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1089744&sitename=mysporttrac