Timing Chain Issue Question.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
O.K.

I saw that Cayman posted here in reply to another members question that our Trac engines

were kind of a carryover of the '97 Explorer engines. If this is true, please tell me

that the following is not true (has been changed in the Tracs). I'm not that familiar

with the set up of our valvetrains...:

A 97 ford explorer is making a clicking noise when the oil cap is opened just wondering is this bad and is it a interference or non interference?

First answer by Wvafan. Last edit by Wvafan. Contributor trust: 237 [recommend contributor]. Question popularity: 4 [recommend question | report question]

Answer

You must have a 4.0 SOHC. It's not good. The timing chain guides and tensioners are probably bad. This is a MAJOR operation on that engine. It is not simply a matter of changing a timing chain, guide, and tensioner set, but there are three timing chains on that engine, and none of the sprockets have keyways or timng marks on them. You have to use a set of special alignment and holding tools to align the chains and gears. As said there are three chains. There is a primary chain that is where the old push rod type engine used to be. That is connected to a gear that drives a jackshaft that goes through the middle of the engine and there is a gear on the other end at the rear of the engine block that attaches to a gear and drives another timing chain in the rear that runs the right bank overhead cam. Back in the front, we have a gear behind the jackshaft driving gear, that runs another chain that drives the left bank overhead camshaft.

The only explanation I have is that this engine was designed by aliens.

This was pasted from another automotive site I was just visiting.:(

Latest posts