Timing Chain Tensioner Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
While Paul and i were working on trucks today and with the low RPM noise I have been having with my 03, I decided to change out the rear timing chain tensioner.

The job was easy, just required removing the tire and inner mud flap. The tensioner came right out and the new one and new gasket screwed right in.

I did notice there were different casting numbers on the parts but that looked the same.

The oil that was in the old one was black and did not look like the oil on the dipstick.

There was evidence that oil is moved through the tensioner, But it seemed it was to lubricate the contact point between the tensioner and the chain guide.

I did soak it in a bucket of oil and pumped it like a lifter before installing.

Well,

It quieted it down a little, But the noise is still there, SO it appears I will just live with it and wait till I yank the motor down the road to replace it...

I just raised my idle 100 RPMS and the noise went away, SO I can live with that...

I have no plans to install the Front one since there is no noise from the front chain.

Thought you would like to know.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for the update.. So just to be clear, changing the rear Tensioner did not fix the rattle.(I'm referring to the slight rattle usually occuring between 2 and 3rd..) I'm curious if we're talking about the same noise. Was really hoping this was a quick fix..Thanks in advance.

Griff,

Nope, Sorry if I was not clear, My rattle was at idle only, I have no other noises at all...

If I raised the idle or kept my foot on the gas it would go away.... So i thought I would change it since it was an easy and cheep job....

Changing it may help you IF your noise is coming from the BACK of the engine...

I have not changed the front one yet, BUT there are 3 chains on our motors, 1 is internal in the front and has no external tensioner, the other is on top right under the intake...

SO in your case it could be any of 3 chains making the noise..

Todd Z

And how much for said part? May be worth it just to see if it gets rid of my rattle (not that passengers can hear it over my exhaust, but I can...)

Jeff, I think they are around $20.00 or so with the gasket each...

Call Walls for exact pricing..

Todd Z