Timing chain tensioners... Pic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Just got my new updated 07 number tensioner today.

I may install this weekend, But the Back one is easy, the front requires the removal of the intake, But I heard there is a trick and you don't need to remove it...

I will do a project once I complete this task..

Thought i would share for you...

As for the tensioner it self, it is simply an oil lubricated, spring loaded piston in a housing.

It appears that oil pressure has nothing to do with the tension, It is all done by the spring.

They are fully extended in the pic.

So I don't think this will solve my problem if the chain is stretched and the tensioner can not take up the play.

I hope with the new part number they re designed it to work better..

Todd Z

The one On the Left is the Front and the one on the Right is the back.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd. I'm looking forward to reading about the outcome and seeing the project. I didn't realize the rear tensioner was easily changed. :cool:

Correct, SO the New ones FIT the older trucks....

IF they didn't fit ford would not have updated them then..

Todd Z

Lookin forward to your project then, Todd.

Edit: Didn't someone just post a few days ago about replacing their timing chains but hit a snag after reassembly? I wonder if he/she got it squared away.

Looking forward to this project.

One thing about the timing chain issue I've never really heard a good explanation or response to is what happens if you just let them rattle? As long as there is no risk of the chains actually jumping a few teeth then it should run just fine. Granted the noise is annoying but I'm not so sure pulling the motor and changing out the whole timing cassettes and retiming the motor is worth it just to get rid of the noise. Granted you don't have to pull the motor to do these tensioners but I've read the only true way to get rid of the noise is to change everything involved with the timing chain. I had the dealer do this on my 02 Ranger under warranty (thank god) and they ended up having the truck for about a month, had the engine out 3 different times, reconditioned both heads because they messed up the timing and bent a valve twice!

If these updated tensioners do the trick then I'll probably do it to.

Todd, Is it actually a redesign or just a part # change, like ford is famous for..?

From what was told to me by some techs that worked in engine and oil research. The early 4.0 SOHC tensonors were oil pressure driven. They said they had alot of failures, just running them on an engine dyno...

Todd, hope your right about the back one (passenger side). I had my intake off so removing the front one (driver side) wasn't bad. The angle on the pass. side is real bad, and there isn't alot of room under the fender to be able to see what youdoing. I had to get out the breaker bar and between the angle of the tensioner and all the other stuff around there including the suspension it was real tough to break it loose. Onces loose it came out pretty easy, but the initial loosening was rough.

For those that don't know, our 4.0 is a "brilliant" design with a timing chain on the front for the driver side and a timing chain on the rear for the passenger side. To get an idea, the front of the driver side head is at the rear of the passenger side head. Both heads look like they are interchangeable, they're not, but it looks that way. Someone told me our engines were built to be run and once they die to be replaced not rebuilt. I kinda believe it.

The only info I can provide on this is, if anyone is planning to pull the engine make sure you have the OTC/Rotunda cam timing tools. I am going on 3 weeks without my truck do to a broken cam cap and having to wait for the timing tools to come in. Had to get the head reconditioned, well onside needed to because of the cam cap replaced head, and I did the other side to match and to be on the safe side. So now I have to wait to get my pass. side head back from the machine shop and I can get it timed and back in, I miss my truck. I didn't think the tools would make that much of a difference boy I was wrong, it makes life a whole lot simpler. Other than that I did mine because I could no longer stand the rattling. Todd I was told the same thing about the new tensioners, hope it is true. I have heard about this thing coming back after a few months.

Since having the engine out it started to get my mind thinking about some upgrades.:lol:

Chase the tensioners are piston like that provide tension on the chains , the cassettes are the guide assembly, from my understanding they call these cassettes because they just drop in. I will try and get some pics up today, since I have my engine out at the time.