Timing Chain TSB

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory Richards

Reaction score
I believe I have the issue with the timing chain. I am still under warranty, is this covered? How long would it take the dealership to fix? At this time I can't afford to leave the Trac longer than a full day because I would have no other means of transportation.

When I first posted about this, trying to figure out what the sound was, Todd Z suggested running a tank of higher octane gas. I did that on my next fill-up (89 octane at Shell) and as far as I could tell, the sound stopped. I thought it might have been the Kroger gas I had been using (when gas prices were at their highest this summer) but in subsequent fill-ups at various gas stations like BP and Exxon, the sound has recurred.

I would guess the obvious suggestion would be to run the Shell 89 octane again. If this works, should I continue to do this even though Ford and my wallet suggest 87 octane? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
TSB's are not automatically covered. Only if your vehicle is within your factory or extended (purchased) coverage. In some cases if you have a VERY GOOD dealer they MAY work with you if your out of coverage. But they are not required to.

If it was a "Recall" then you would have been covered...

I think that the timing chain TSB is covered up to something like 70,000 mi. The last time I checked. But I think that it's also only good on 01's and maybe some 02's. Maybe somebody that knows more about it will post a reply.

I know I need the tensioners replaced on mine, but I am really scared of having oil leaks and other problems after they get done. Besides most of the people who have had them replaced say the noise is back after a while anyway. So I live with the noise.

David.