Timing chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Has anyone on here replaced their own timing chains and tensioner? Or can you adjust the tensioner? I was thinking it was a "NON" adjustable part but was curious.

The easy part is the changing of the chain,,, hard part is to get to it.

As Tom said, it is a fairly major job.

If you are going to do it, do it right. Buy all the stuff for a tune up, change out the T-Stat, ANY gasket that is not easy to get to once it is installed again,,, ect ect ect...

If you do pull it, make sure the torq converter stays seated so that you don't have a need to replace the front pump seal.

I replaced the front and rear tensioner on my 03..... Waste of time....

The noise is still there.....

In a year or two the motor is getting pulled and all new chains installed....

Todd Z

I have the same problem, why do you suppose the tensioner won't keep it quiet? I hate to go to the expense of pulling the engine.

Thanks Ed

It's very common for the timing chain guides to break, when this happens it's gonna rattle no matter what you do until they get replaced

l1,

How long have you seen them go (if you have) with broken guides before failure ?

Todd Z

Believe it or not I currently have a customer that has an Explorer that has about 115,000 that has been running with broken guides for over a year now, I don't know how long they were broken before he started regularily coming to my shop. Personally I have never seen one let loose based solely on broken timing chain guides but I am sure it has happened

Thanks, I guess I am rolling the dice But wanted to ask.....

Todd Z

This is a very old thread. But its something I'm considering doing on my '04 as preventative maintenance. My truck currently sits around 250k miles. I've no issues or symptoms which would indicate a timing chain issue. But I've never serviced it. The chain, guides, and tensioners are all original.

My truck has seen mostly interstate and highway miles, it resided all of its life in a rural area where a long drive to anywhere is normal. So not a lot of "city driving". that might be why it's done so well.

As it stands now, the engine is smooth with no issues. ....but the odometer reading is high.

Thoughts?

Latest posts