Timing chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashandjan

Reaction score
OMG.... we all love the little sport trac right..... sadly the timing chain is big issue with them😕mine has started making noise..... now it's get new motor... not option $$$$...rebuild not option $$.... fix $$$ on motor with 251,000 km.... or my only choice used.... I haven't had this truck for yr ......😞😣🫥STRESS

It just started making noise? Drain oil, drop oil pan and check for shrapnel in the pan. If you find no plastic bits then replace both of the chain tensioners.

You could try priming the oil system on start up. ( full throttle, the car will not start, crank until the oil pressure is up, get off the throttle and it will start normally). I have been doing this for the past 20K miles or so and so far it is holding together.
God Bless Ed

Won’t that start to kill your starter? It seems like this is a major repair and seems to happen around 200k miles. Does that sound about right? And the options are rebuild engine or replace due to the engine having to be pulled to do it. Is that right?

Won’t that start to kill your starter? It seems like this is a major repair and seems to happen around 200k miles. Does that sound about right? And the options are rebuild engine or replace due to the engine having to be pulled to do it. Is that right?
FrontLeft TimingCassette can be replaced without pulling engine. RearRight TimingCassette replacement requires pulling engine.

Latest posts