timing chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Poche

Reaction score
well @72500 miles my timing chain has begun making noise at 2300 to 2600 rpm's i will bring it in and hope they will take care of it they (the dealer i have delt with) are usually are good about things. if not how hard is it to do my self it cant be to hard. what else do i need to do if i do it my self.

Ben, The timing chain, Or 2 of them shall I say is a nice long day 8+hours. They are not that hard to do, but require taking the complete front of the engine off. I don't think there are any special tools required, But might be on the 4.0.

You also may want to try a different, slightly thicker oil first. The chain is tensioned by oil pressure and may just be a little slack from low pressure..

Todd Z

My odometer is showing 69500 and I am wondering if I should go and have mine checked. I still can't be sure that the noise I hear is the timing chain. It does occur at the right rpm, but I don't know about the noise. Does anyone have solid proof that the tsb on the timing chain was extended to 70,000. If so I would like to take a copy with me to the dealer.

ps. is there anyone near tulsa, ok that knows the timing chain sound that would take a ride with me and tell me what they hear????

thanks Todd. i have rebuilt older motors before a 289 and a 302 for my old 66 mustang i just was not sure about the 4.0 i will change my oil first if the shop will not fix it thanks again

i still think it sounds like valve clatter to me but now mine is at a higher rpm than i had before and if i went to 89oct it went away now mine will not.

Those where push rod v6's. THE sohc is a completely different animal...

Todd Z

There is a special tool kit to do the job. Requires a crank stop as well as camshaft holding thingys.Fords bright idea to have the timing sprockets held on by a taper, and not use a key way to keep them in time. hence the cam and crank holders. It may not be just the cam chain assy. May be the hydraulic chain adjuster.

changed oil @ work 10w30 napa oil i had at work noise is gone i will change again with a better oil this weekend. thanks Mr. Z