Timing Chains repairs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I have been on the site before and posted very few times, I have just done a complete fix on all the timing chains, guides (both front main and rear were broken). The front one that is located at the drivers side of the engine was good and never rattled. Well after putting the engine back in and putting it together cranked right up, but not the one that was not replaced started to rattle very loud, and what I am wondering is do I have to change that cassette as the Ford Dealer calls it, or could it be just the tensioner. I know I should have replaced the whole thing since it was out, but I thought I was saving myself some money because the guides and chaing looked good, anyone have any thoughts? I guess I am lost what step I should take next, tensioner or the whole cassette. Any one else had to deal with this?

I gues I should mention that it is a job 1.

Any help would truly be appreciated thanks.

I know Ford updated the part numbers to all 07 stuff....

I have the rear rattle and plan on changing just the tensioner on the pass side of the block...

Mine is an 03...

Todd Z

I have an 01' job1. I replaced mine on the front and ford sold me a timing chain cassette kit. It comes with a new chain, tensioner and cassette. I think it was like $70 bucks.

how did retiming of the motor go?

I had Ford do my 02 Ranger under warranty, they had it for a month because they couldn't get the timing right and bent valves on each head. I think they pulled the motor out 3 different times. I've researched it online some and seems like a real PITA. Mine rattles on my 01 ST but I think I'm just gonna run it. I've never really heard if it is all that bad to just let it go?

Update:

As I had mentioned before I replaced the timing chains and guides on my 01 ST job 1, the guides were broken as well as bad tensioners today, I put in the front left cassette and chain and tensioner, becuase I heard major rattling after installing the other yesterday, Well turns out the major noise coming after the replacements is a broken camshaft cap. I ended up seeing the broken cap about 30 minutes ago before I was going to call it a night, luckily I saw it before putting everything together again. What is really weird is the engine never made any noise other than the chain noise, so I have no idea why the cap broke, any suggestions? Timing was right on a friend of mine came over and took care of that part for me. So until tomorrow, I will have more updates. THIS JOB IS A MAJOR PAIN IN THE A**.

Built Ford Tough? somebody should have remembered that when they were designing these stupid guides and tensioners.

Well Ford does not sell the cam caps by themselves according to them I have to by the complete head at 878.98. At this point I am lost I don't know what I am going do?

Aren't these the same v6's used in the Mustangs? I bet someone has an aftermarket supply for these things.

Jeff, I did get a 4.0 head from a junkyard here in town for a 150.00 and it had the cam caps I needed, so I took my head in to get machined as well as the caps to make them fit just right, that cost me 50.00, not bad I thought. So finally, I have everything done and the trac will get buttoned up tomorrow just have to put everything back into place, and hope and pray nothing else goes wrong. Will keep you guys updated.

Anyone have any tips on how to correctly align for timing issues, seems that with out the special tool, it is very difficult to align everything properly and i can not find the tool anywhere near my area, any tips or tricks would truly be appreciated, I know Caymen has done this project before, any tips?