Timing chains, replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl beasley

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
My 2001 ST has just over 220K I've been working through all the timing chain & tension replacement threads. At 220K miles, is it time to replace the Chains&Tensioners?

Thanks,

Carl

for what i have read over the years is people saying they hear rattling sounds and it gets bad before they go so i have been listening to my engine at idle every time i do oil change and feel the motor before it gets hot. so if no rattling ya might not need to. but again thats just what i have read and heard.

If you've rolled 220,000 miles without PLASTIC timing chain GUIDE issues you're already doing something very right. There have been some reports of these engines exceeding 300,000 miles with only routine oil and filter changes. IMO, I would keep driving unless you hear rattles, especially at cold start up. Regarding the replacement of both external hydraulic tensioners. Many recommend replacing them at around 70,000 miles as a preventative measure using only OEM Ford tensioners. Your call again. If you are a DIY here's an excellent, but long tutuorial from FordTechMakuloco to get an idea what's involved for a complete timing chain overhaul. GL

great video. Wish I could pull the motor for a rebuild but.... Everything would have to be done out of house. I have the space, not the tools.

Thanks,

carl

Carl,
Changing just the 2 oil pressurized timing tensioner does NOT require pulling the engine. They're both accessible.

at over 20 yo, my thoughts are to drive it until it dies and have a crate motor install, along with a Tranny. No rust, need reupholstered drivers seat and the moon roof liner replaced. Replaced ball joints, shocks, sparks, wires, brakes. Had the rear window & AC die. Those two were the most major ($) items. Paint is not bad for 20 years outdoors in Florida. This is my last vehicle. Can't make a Home Depot run with a Porsche...

Carl, I have an '04 with over 300k miles that I've owned since it was new.

Driving sanely, not always getting on the gas, not towing a lot of heavy loads, routine maintenance, the fact that I drive mostly highway miles because I live in the middle of nowhere, and maybe a little luck has gotten me here. I think I read somewhere that the 4.0L SOHC engine has an expected service life of 200k-250k miles. So if that's true, I'm on borrowed time.

Here are my plans. If I have to pull the engine for any reason at this point, I will rebuild it myself. I'm not going to go through the hassle of pulling this engine with the mileage it has on, just for some preventative maintenance. I made that decision once I crossed "The Rubicon" at 200k miles on the odometer.

She runs like a top right now and feels like she still has all (...or at least most) of her original hp, so 400k miles here I come.

If I were you, I would NOT pull the engine to upgrade the timing chain guides at this point. ...unless you're bored and have lots of time on your hands and want to do it fun.

Latest posts