Timming Chain Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray rodriguez

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the V6 timming chains rattling on start up? A mechanic friend says he can fix it for $850.00 plus parts, good price?

Last edited by a moderator:
If he is talking about pulling the motor. So he can do a complete repair. Sounds like a good price.

The chains are front and rear. He will need special alighnment tools also. Specific to the sohc 4.0 L.

If it just the cassetes'. IDK.......

What your tech may be up against. For $850 sign the work order NOW.

Yes he will pull the motor, replace all timming components, water pump, and do a tune up for $850.00 and I buy all the parts. I guess this is a good deal, I think roughly with parts it's about $1400.00.

I'd do it for $850 tax free on the side with you buying the parts all day long. Make sure your mechanic friend has done these before and also make sure he has the alignment tools for the cams as this job CAN NOT BE DONE WITHOUT THEM due to there not being one single timing mark and the cam gears are not keyed.

Just curious.....when does one need to perform a timing chain replacement like this? I have Gen2 2008 Adrenalin with 55,000 miles

Thanks guys for the input, found out dealer wants 3000.00 to do the job so I think a total of 1400.00 is a very good deal. He understands what all is involved and said he has all the tools necessary for the job.

my brother just did this in his explorer. he did not buy the tools. so that being said you can do it with out the tools. i think he said he put everything at tdc then made a jig to hold the cams. he did it by himself started on sat evening and finished in monday after work. pulled motor saturday, replaced the parts and put the motor back in sunday then buttoned it up monday.

larryMember

my brother just did this in his explorer. he did not buy the tools. so that being said you can do it with out the tools. i think he said he put everything at tdc then made a jig to hold the cams. he did it by himself started on sat evening and finished in monday after work. pulled motor saturday, replaced the parts and put the motor back in sunday then buttoned it up monday.

So if he made the tools to go in place of the tools that you can buy how does that mean he did the job without the tools. Also if the chains were stretched to a point that it threw off the timing then by him making the tools and using his engine as a guide that would mean that when everything was put back together the timing would be off.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud his ingenuity, however it is a fairly large task to be gambling on.

i am not sure what he did. what he didn't do is spend $250 on alignment tools. it's only a gamble if you put it back together without making sure it's right. there are a lot of automotive repairs made everyday without the "required" tools. weather or not the cost savings vs extra time spent makes it worth it is is up to the person doing the job.

At about how many miles to this seems to be an issue or would need to be changed? My 04 is at 175,000 Miles. So this is just a curious question.

by larryMember

. there are a lot of automotive repairs made everyday without the "required" tools. weather or not the cost savings vs extra time spent makes it worth it is is up to the person doing the job.

Trust me I know all about doing jobs without the "special tool" unfortunately I am not in a position that I can gamble on something not working right as customers just do not want to hear that things didn't turn out correctly or that you damaged something because you don't have the special tool to repair their vehicle. It is for this very reason that I have a box full of special tools that have only been used once...oh well what ya gonna do.

BeerDelivery04Member

At about how many miles to this seems to be an issue or would need to be changed? My 04 is at 175,000 Miles. So this is just a curious question.

There is no set mileage where you may start having issues or no mileage where it needs to be replaced.

Latest posts