Tire Cupping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Williams

Reaction score
I've read a lot about tire cupping and had that problem with a 2000 Ranger I had before the ST. What causes this problem and is there anything I can do to avoid it. Just bought a new '05 ST and, even though the Wrangler RT/S tires might not be the best, I want them to last until I can afford something better. Thanks in advance for the help.

The tire cupping is caused by loose suspension components or weak shocks. In the Trac's case the shocks definitely should be replaced with a good aftermarket brand. The Goodyears are not bad tires, but in my opinion do not offer good wet traction. They should not cup with a good set of shocks on your Trac.

I agree with MikeC. Their are several different brands, Monroe, KYB, Blistin, etc. Anything is better than the stock shocks. I still have the original goodyears with 34K miles on them. Still have excellent treadwear and no cupping yet. I hope to get 50K miles out of them. Its a wait and see.

I replaced my shocks at 1500miles. Now at 6000miles my tires are cupping..it must be that the alignment has to much negative camber..havent taken it in cause I intend to lower it and replace the tires anyway...

I would take the truck to a reputable alignment shop. I didn't do this, and after taking my ST to two different dealerships with complaints of pulling to the left the tires became cupped. I then took my ST to a local tire store and they found the camber to be way out of specs. Since camber is not adjustable on our trucks without a camber kit, I took my truck back to the dealership with a printout from the tire shop. They installed a camber kit under warranty. After installing the kit they "realigned" it. The truck still pulled, so I took it back to the tire store, where they finally got my alignment straightened out. It is like a new truck, because the truck never tracked right from the lot -- it always felt like there was a 60 mph wind coming from the right. Now it will drive straight with no effort.

2 of my tires started cupping before I hit the 10,000km mark.

I rotated my tires every 10,000kms, and sometimes more often.

Ford finally replaced them at 23,000kms.

I now have 73,000kms on my ST and the 2 other original tires, and the replacement tires are still fine.

If cupping was caused by suspension or alignment issues, then why did my other tires not cup on this same suspension?

My vote goes to crappy tires and not the suspension causing the tire cupping problem.

I agree that the suspension could be improved, and I have added the EE-sway bar.

NelsonOKC is correct. I think you might be able to get cupping on a indepedent rear suspension truck, but not on a ridgid axle type like the Trac.

What does cupping look like? Not that I have the problem, but maybe for those of us that has never seen a cupped tire. Anyone have a picture?

SToneyCreekST,

When you took your ST to the dealer to complain about the cupping tires, they probably made an adjustment to your front-end alignment. However, once a tire starts cupping, it does not stop because the alignment was corrected. They will continue to wear unevenly and the cupping will become worse.

So while the dealer may not have told you they made some adjustments to your front end alignment, They did, because the only known cause for cupping tires is bad shocks or an alignment problem. And that would be the first thing that a Tech would check.

...Rich