Tire cupping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
I have seen TSBs listed here for tire cupping. I was wondering if the cupping is a warranty thing or should I just get it aligned at a shop I trust. I had the tires rotated and that solved the problem for a while and now I am starting to hear a flat spot when I drive slow. I drive a 05 4 wheel drive Adrenalin with 20,000 on it.

Thank you

Paul

Getting an allignment will not fix it necessarily, but if you take it to Ford that's what they'll do. Your tires are covered by Ford only up to 12K (although some have had some success getting Ford to honor beyond this), after that it's Goodyear's problem and they blame Ford. Good luck. I haven't seen a TSB for it and even so it probably just says to do an allignment.

Also, rotating the tires will not fix cupping. Cupping is perminent. Rotating the tires will only hide it for a little while until the new tire in that locations cups. Most of us have had success with just replacing the Goodyear tires. Others claim you need new tires/shocks/axle/etc.

Personally, I dumped the goodyears and replaced with BFG's and haven't had a problem in over 30,000 miles. My Goodyears were affected by cupping at 4500 miles and ruined by 16,000 miles (which was too late to force replacements by Ford).

What exactly did your tires look like when you say they had cupping? I Have an 01 and my tires have a funny wear on the inside edge, not an even wear it is not round anymore, but only the inside edge. Did you tires have this only on an edge or all the way accross. I put new shocks on and want to get new tires, but I want to make sure this dosn't happen again.