Tire size upgrade

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS Saia

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what would be the biggest tires I could fit on my 01 ST without a lift ? And does this affect my computer, ABS, airbags, or any other parts in a negative way? Thanks

I don't know the max size but your speedometer and odometer will read incorrectly. Extreme size upgrade may affect the ABS as to when they kick in. The Drive shaft angle will be more severe and may cause early u-joint wear. Do a search and you will find this topic has been brought up several times before.

Not lifting the truck will not affect the driveshaft angle. 265/70 is not much bigger than stock and won't affect the speedo noticeably.

Mine came with the smaller 235/70-16's so with the 32" tires I just allow that the speedo is reading 5 mph slower than actual. No tickets yet.

What do you need to do if you have upgraded to say 17s? What does the speedo need to be adjusted?

My 265/75/16 actually made my speedo right on the money... Slight rub lock to lock, left rear wheelwell, which is self clearancing.:lol: The 265's are 30.5" tall, and that dimension can vary from tire to tire, mfg to mfg... pics in lib... HTH

What do you need to do if you have upgraded to say 17s? What does the speedo need to be adjusted?

The speedo only needs to be adjusted if the tire diameter changes. The rim diameter doesn't matter. If you bump up to 17's but still keep a roughly 30" diameter tire, your speedo won't change.

Superlift makes a module you can plug in to adjust for that. An XCal2 from Wayne will do that too but I see that people are having delivery issues.

i have 275/70/16's on my 04 adren. had to do a very minor cutting of the plastic inner wheel wells. 1/4 inch if that.

[Broken External Image]: