Tire / Suspension Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Torres

Reaction score
Looking for help from suspension / tire gurus. I recently starting hearing a thumping noise when driving at low speeds. As I speed up the thumping speeds up so it changes in relation to speed until I'm going fast enough and no longer hear it. I checked the tires and found that the inner edge is worn down much more than the center or outer edges on the front tires. The inner treads also look feathered. Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing the tire damage and I assume is the source of the thumping noise?

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That type of wear pattern is typical negative camber. Get the Trac to an aligment show ASAP to get it fixed, or you'll wear through the inside of those tires in <10,000 miles....if you're lucky. Meanwhile, the Trac will turn in much better and respond to steering input much better....so don't get used to it for when it gets fixed, it'll be back to the same ol' SUV/truck like handling.

Also, if you still have stock shocks, upgrade to better ones with the alignment. The factory shocks are to soft. Allowing excess suspension movement will also cup tires.

Also those look like crapyear tires, They cant Handel soft suspensions and almost every set i installed, came back for at least 1 tire cupping, New shocks or not...

Replace the shocks and get an alignment..

Todd Z

I've changed tires, had three alignments and changed shocks and that problem still exists on my truck. I think it is just one of those "normal" issues that I'll have to live with.

I had this problem on my 04 at 12000 miles. The Ford service mgr. told me it was alignment and gave me an appointment so they could check it. I went to my tire dealer, that I buy my tires from for my motorhome, and my wife's Yukon and told him about the problem. He did an alignment check (his equipment is the same as my dealers) my alignment was right on. He gave me the print out and told me not to show it to the service Mgr. until Ford does their check. Later that day at the dealer the service manager was looking at his print out and told me my alignment was out but didn't show me the print out. I pulled out my print out and told him this was done just a few hours ago. He immediately said he was going to talk to his manager. They went to the parking lot to talk. Then the Manager made a phone call and told me to return tomorrow because they were going to give me a set of new tires. I went to my tire dealer and thanked him for his help. He told me "no problem" I have people come in here all the time with that same same problem from that same dealer. Since that time I have installed new shocks Ranchero's and I only go to my tire dealer for tire rotations.

Nelson have they put alignment cams for your alignment if not you might not be getting a good alignment.I do not think you can adjust camber with out this kit. the shop where you bring it might only be getting it as close as they can. Lastly I THINK not positive but think if you would have got the rancho's this might not be happening.i am not downing any thing just my opinion.

Yes, the last alignment I had was after the cam kits were installed by Ford. I am getting an alignment shop to do another alignment next weekend, along with a rotation. My Revos are ruined at this point, but I want to see if I can get a few more miles out of them before I get a new set. :(

Have the same problem with 6100 miles on my 05. What should I do guys? Since all I know has come from you guys, have a feeling if I show up without the know, Im gonna get had. What should I know about the camber etc? thnkx, thought it was a tire pressure issue but tried that to no avial.

David T, I experienced the same noise about a month ago. However, my tread didn't look uneven. It took me awhile to figure out what my problem was. In fact, I had enough thread to go some more miles even at 52,000 on the stock Goodyear tires. I did find out that my tires were weather cracked and spliting near the rim on the inside of the tire. I rotated the tires to confirm that was the source of the noise. So none the less I decided it was time to get some new tires (Dick Cepek FC-II 265R/75R/16), do the TT/Shackle lift, alignment, shocks, and take off the running boards.

Thanks for all the info guys I guess I'll schedule an appointment with Ford to have the alignment checked. I only have 24K miles on my ST and changed the shocks to Monroe Sensa-Tracs around 7K miles. I've rotated the tires twice (9K and again at 18K) so I was rather surpised to see so much wear on the inner edges.

Exact same thing happened to me. I noticed the noise and cupping about 4 weeks ago. Did the full rotation deal.... this time back to front, and front put on opposite rear side.

I've been rotating front to back every 5,000 miles. Now have 16,000 on the truck.

Have Bilstines on the front and Ranchos on the back. Cupping seemed to occur in a shorter time frame this go around.

I always keep the front tire pressure at 30, although I'm now trying 32 psi to see if that helps. Rear pressure is at 35 (per the recommendations on the filler door).

Guess I'll try the alignment too, although it does not feel out of line.:wacko:

Doug in NC

Latest posts