Tire Wear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk10s

Reaction score
This is the 3rd set of tires (including original Wranglers) that have exhibited the exact same tire wear. I have replaced upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, hubs, shocks, and several alignments. Religiously rotate tires every oil change. Two questions - 1. Why the same wear all the time? 2. Would you replace now with this wear on the insides? These are the current fronts, but all 4 are the same.
IMG_7128.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg

Best diagnosis for your uneven tire wear should be done by a reputable alignment shop.

What tire pressures have you been using? Stock sizes? Advice by shops you used for your services?

Have the alignments been done by reputable shops and provided the results to you after?

Driving style and conditions can also be a factor, if you drive aggressively and do a lot of hard accelerating and stopping, over time this can slowly wear down the inners.

I have the same problem, was told its characteristic, not buying it!

Clearly alignment problems..
the tires on mine were worn like that, I got an alignment and some new tires which wore exactly the same way.
After the second alignment (at a different shop) the second set of new tires is doing much better.
As Kale says, need to get the before and after spec sheets from the alignment shop, to see what is happening.
If the shop doesn't provide those specs then find another shop.

Several possibilities -
conditions, if lots of potholes in your local streets and/or plenty of off/dirt road driving, can knock the alignment out pretty quick
something worn out in the alignment adjustment bolts etc, so the alignment doesn't hold: or the camber is no longer adjustable within spec and you need a camber kit
if 2001-3 model, there is a TSB - https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/34961/tsb04-24-19

What tire pressures have you been using? Max pressure is 44 lbs., I usually run around 40.

Stock sizes? Yes

Have the alignments been done by reputable shops and provided the results to you after? I have had the truck aligned at the local Goodyear shop, at a local independent shop, and a place that specializes in alignments. I learned at the last shop that merely "within specs" is not really good enough.

I think we have a "normal" number of potholes in our area here outside of Milwaukee, WI. The biggest bulk of my driving is highway to our vacation home about 200 miles away. I would not say I am an aggressive driver. Truck has 213K miles. Thank you, Doug, for the TSB. I'm not sure if this truck has the kit installed. 1st set of tires was the original Wranglers, then I had the Firestone Destination LE3, and the current pair are Cooper Evolution.

I'm bummed because the rest of the tread is so good.....

I'm bummed because the rest of the tread is so good.....

the first set of tires I had, thought I could get another trip out of them. Down in New Mexico on a Sunday evening taking the canoes out, noticed the steel belt was showing.. didn't tell my wife and drove, carefully, back to Denver..

Latest posts