Tires for a 2003 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need to get tires...I just fixed both my hub bearings this year, and now it is time to replace my tires. I was thinking about replacing them with an off road tire, something a little more rugged.

So far I found these:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=1&rcz=43465&ar=70&rf=true&rd=16&rc=OHTINT&cs=255&dVeh=dVeh&tc=GDYRL3&yr=2003&pc=31622&cf=false&vid=007912&sw=false

Any opinions on good tires for my tracker. I am not the most knowledgeable on this stuff...lol

:driving:

Go with General Grabber AT2's, that's what I'm getting when I replace mine. I have BFG TA/KO's on now and they ride too hard and wear out too fast.

why would you want rugged tires? Just for the look or do you do actual off-roading? I have BFG Radial Long Trail T/As on my 2wd and I've had no issues. I go camping a lot, mostly on pretty rough dirt roads. I've been stuck once, but only in pretty deep mud. They're not rugged, but they're at least OWL. You'll get better mileage and wear with a highway tire.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, why not. Looks like a fine winter tire. I've had good results with the peanut-shaped tread in the slop. Just remember that when springtime comes, you must replace the "mountain and snowflake" winter tires with general purpose tires. Ice/snow tires tend to wear out quickly on dry pavement.

I am still kind of up in the air about what I will get.

Mainly what I am looking for is something that is good for winter & wet driving. Plus ones I can have on there all year long. In the past I have always just replaced a tire here and there, when needed with the same tires that came on my trac. This is the first time I am going to replace all 4 with something different.

I am going to check out those BFG Radial Long Trail T/As and the General's.

Thanks for the suggestions!

"Mainly what I am looking for is something that is good for winter & wet driving. Plus ones I can have on there all year long."

IME with tires that have the "mountain and snowflake" logo, they use special low temperature rubber compounds, microgrooves and other winter-specific designs that don't last long during summer driving. You can check the wear rating to see how many miles you can expect from the tires, but even if they last for enough miles total, I'd be worried that extended summer driving would ruin the magic that makes them so excellent in ice and snow.

Down there in Toledo, you probably get your streets plowed often enough that a regular "all season" tire will be enough, especially with 4WD. If in doubt, ask your tire dealer to put it in writing that they'll replace "mountain and snowflake" tires if they don't perform well the next winter.

More about the arcane terms used with tires and weather:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

i recently purchased the Hankook DynaPro ATM .

very nice tires. love the handling and the look.

i purchased them from discounttire.com

I bought General Grabbers 6 K milers ago. Very pleased with them. Here is one of the reviews I'd read if your looking.

http://www.consumersearch.com/suv-tires

Mine are fine in the rain, haven't had them in the snow much, I have studded snow tires for winter, but that's because I do a lot of trips to the mountains and a 2wd needs a little help on the ice.

I purchased the Firestone Discovery AT's last year 20k very smooth, quiet and excellent in wet weather. Bought 3 got 1 free. They were about $150 each.

I dont deal with snow but. I have these tires. Despite their tread patern. They are quiet on the highway. Cooper HT plus.

[Broken External Image]:

I went shopping today, to look at some tires.

One thing I did not appreciate was one place, they tried to sell me some tires that were not A/T's because they were cheap. I am looking to upgrade not downgrade...

I did really like the XTX Wild Country A/T's I saw by Cooper. I did also look at some firestone destination A/T, but after I read the reviews...I think I will pass on those...

I have a couple more places to check, as I rather look at them in person than online....