tires or brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph L

Reaction score
hey guys, need a little help. my wife has an '02 2wd ST, with i believe factory michelin tires. since the st doesn't have hand controls i've never driven it. anyway, she has told me several times when coming to a stop the tires seem to lock up. i'm new to owning a ford so please forgive my ignorance. is this a common problem with st's or could it be the tires and her getting used to the pedal compared to the grand prix she used to drive.

That's definitely not normal. Is the ABS light lit? You need to have a brake shop look at that right away. Unless she is driving like Mario Andretti, the brakes shouldn't lock up.

Unless she is slamming on the brakes and the tires are squealing a little, the problem is not normal....

I would recommend having it looked at...

Todd Z

i have the same truck. In the morning, the brakes are a little touchy, and occasionally they'll set the ABS off when it is snowing or raining. I don't want to say it is normal, but as said above, get it looked at .... there could be some broken hardware in the rear drums that would cause that....

thanks for the replies. like i said i've never driven the truck, and it's never done it while i was in it. i figured it might have been the switch from her grand prix to the st. but if it happens again, definitely gonna use the extended warranty.