TMI on Exhausts, Need the Quick and Dirty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
I've gone crosseyed :wacko: looking at posts on exhausts systems. I just wnat to make the Trac breathe better, not make it louder. I've got the intake figured out, now I want a simple way to improve the exhaust. I do regular trips of 3-500 miles, so I don't want something that permeates the interior with exhaust sound/drone if possible. I am also not concerned with how the pipe(s) route. A single pipe, duals together or separate, etc. don't matter so long as it works.

After reading all the posts, I was unable to identify a specific brand/model/type that would simply provide an improved cat back exhaust that didn't raise the interior sound level. I was also unsure on the pevailing theory on resonator in or out. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

For cheap $$$ and breathing queitly. Keep your stockexhaust and resonator. Change the muffler to magnaflow....

Thanks for the info on the magnaflow. Any specific model? I see a wide open version on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the magnaflow cat back. which is 2 1/2" pipe, no resonator. It groweled on throttle up. For me it was mellow non intrusive on trips at 70mph. Now it is louder, I put the y-pipe on which eliminates the front cats.

The magna-flow design is a straight through. If you change muffler only make sure it is one of the oval shape, not the round race magnaflow. The magnaflow will be shorter than stock. So make shure the muffler shop places it to the rear at the axle. They will have to make an intermediate pipe to go in front of the muffler.

The reason I sugested muffler only and a straight thru design. IMO if you keep the stock 2 1/4" pipes and resonator, you should get good flow, with less noise.

Edit; check the link

Last edited by a moderator: