Tonneau Cover Lock Replacement - Gen 1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryRigour

Supporting Member
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
Gen 1 with a Tonneau hard cover that I found at a salvage yard a couple years back, and both of the locks are going bad. In fact, one of the locks doesn't function at all anymore, and I have to keep the front portion shut and locked at all times.

Im curious if anyone has explored replacing these locks? I am uncertain if there is a part number to look for, if it's doable to replace on my own. I am also unsure if it's the type of job a locksmith would work on?

Any info would be great.

Its normally the cable that stretches causing issues..... when you say doesent work, does it not turn ?? did you try wd40?

My rear lock I think has an issue with frayed cables, but it will open after a couple attempts.

The front on the other hand has a couple issues- the clip underneath that pins the lock in place has busted off, and my fabrications aren’t fool proof. More detrimental is a plastic piece on the inside of the lock that has worn out, with my fabrications being ineffective.

WD-40 has helped a little on the rear lock, but had a negative impact on the front (once I opened up the lock I found the plastic piece is slipping rather than turning, so lubricant made it worse).

This?
https://truckoutfittersplus.com/tru...u-Covers/are-tonneau-cover-lock-cylinder.html
Not sure if we have the same cover as I never noticed any other lock but the main rear handle lock. (never looked either)

ARE Tonneau hard cover painted to match is whats on my 05.
Bought it without a key for the lock.
So thank you for giving me the idea to actually look for a replacement lock, instead of having a locksmith make a key as I am sure thats more expensive.