Tonneau Cover Wind Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT 006

Reaction score
Just bought an '03 ST w/ (what I think is) a factory tonneau....doesn't seem to sit right or make a proper seal with the bed; with the rear window down, it sounds like a jet turbine (which is kinda cool for, like, 4 seconds...). The dealer put weather stripping along the edge which helped but didn't eliminate the noise. Any suggestions other than cruising with the window only vented??

Thanks in advance!

Don't rightly know the "turbine" noise that you are referring to, Flanker, I have a factory cover but when I ride with the rear window open all I hear is the road noise coming in. It doesn't sound quite like a turbine to me, but it is rather noisy from the cars and trucks going by. I just either vent the window or let it down or close it to suit my taste. Perhaps with it all the way down you are also hearing the wind swooping back in through the opening. Our previous (01 for me) generations of ST's are not known for quietness, but there is a huge difference with the new 07 ST. Hope my lengthy message helps you.

Soft or hard? Mine is soft and goes "flubba flubba flap flap flubba flap". No turbine noise though.

The cover is a hard cover; I had another one out for a test drive prior to buying this one and there wasn't any noise so I figure it's a fit issue with air flowing underneath & causing the "turbine" sound. Unfortunately I work out of town 4 weeks at a time and the ST has a home under a tarp for the time being :angry: but I'm looking to remedy this when I get back home; your suggestions are appreciated, thanks!!