Tonneau hinge rubber piece?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
The rubber piece that fills the gap on the tonneau between the metal hinge and the bed rail broke off on the right side. What have you all found is the best way to fix this?

It depends upon which tonneau cover model you have. The earlest covers had a flat piece of rubber that wrapped over the hinge. That kind could easily be replaced with a strip of rubber but you would need to remove the hinge to remove and replace the old rubber seal. Probably a good idea to use some silicone sealant when you reassemble the hinge. Disassembly may require removing screws or drilling out rivets and replacing them with screws.

If you have the later model cover (started sometime in 2002) they have a hard molded rubber cover over the hinge with short end-caps. That kind will probably have to be replaced. I don't know if Ford stocks those parts or where to get them, or what they cost? You might want to try using some kind of rubber cement to see if you can patch it that way, at least to prevent a major water leak. If you do find a replacement seal, you will have to dismantle the hinge to install the new weather seal.

...Rich

If you are talking about the the rubber at the ends of the hinge that is held on by two rivets, You can get it at the dealer. I had to order took a week or so, But its not cheap

Regards

Jim

I have the 2002 style cover. Looks like I'll be living with this as I don't need a watertight bed that badly. Thanks

I've got the 2010 Adrenalin, its spotless, but I really need the new rubber hinge cover on the bed, to have it the way I want it.

Eternabond will look clean and stand up to repeated opening/water/sun etc - used it on my hot tub hinge and it's been 3 years so far (also done 2 RV roofs with it). Google it and you'll get all kinds of hits for application/uses etc.
Clean surfaces well with acetone or isopropyl before applying and this will NOT come off. Various widths and lengths available - here's one example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221694634482?hash=item339e07a9f2:g:v6IAAOSwZpdgEcxm

Latest posts