Too good to be true

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the other "snake oil" ECU products out there, this one is just adjustable.

Most of these cheap solutions are simply a resistor that changes the voltage the ECU receives from the MAF. Thinking more air is coming into the engine, the ECU will adjust the timing and injector intervals for more fuel. Of course, there really isn't more air coming into the engine so you're just running rich and wasting gas. I guess it must provide a little boost to the "seat-of-your-pants-meter" to make it feel like you have more power.

I don't know anything specific of the ST's ECU, but this is how I believe these cheap mods work in general.

ya, thats think been around forever... that, the tornado... the throttle body spacer (on fuel injected engines)... stuff like that... makes me laugh

Since I am not mechanically inclined and I don't understand how most of the stuff under the hood (or in the cab) works, I have to ask.

My other vehicle is a 1974 F-100. It is a lot easier to understand.