Too much oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Moss

Reaction score
OK just got done changing my oil for the first time on this ST, drained it, new filter, put 5 quarts in, started it up, checked oil and it shows about a 1/4 inch above the hatch marks, aarrgghh! Drained the oil and filter on level ground not sure why the level is high, I guess I better remove some.....

I think you will be fine, But draining some is not that hard either...

Todd Z

5 quarts with the filter is perfect. Did you get the Trac new? If not, it's possible that at some point the original dipstick was lost and an incorrect one was put in. Seen it happen.

The hash marks are what is "normal", there should also be a hole in the dipstick about a half inch above the hash marks that is the maximum fill level.

Also on many vehicles you will get a little more of the old oil out if you remove the filter while the drain plug is out. On the Trac my drain pan is big enough to catch the oil from both.

A master mechanic told me to put in what the manufacturer calls for. If they say 5 quarts, use 5 quarts. Don't necessarily go by the dipstick, use it as a guide. That is what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Got the Trac new so original dipstick I presume. There is a hole above the hash marks, right now the oil halfway between the marks and that hole. Just dont want the oil to start whipping up in there.

Todd Z. - What is the easiest way to drain a bit out (even if I need to) I was thinking of getting a cheap siphon at the parts store and putting in right into the dip stick hole????

I would leave it alone. Mine has always shown a little high after change and sometimes it will settle in and show full. 5 quarts and the filter is what it calls for. Even a half quart over will NOT cause any foaming in your engine.

PS

I owned and operated a Pennzoil Oil Change for 10 years. I have had to explain this to many people. Never had any problems.

I wouldnt worry about it. I have a story about my 5.0 t-bird. It always read above the line. I discovered the factory forgot the the rubber seal, in the top of the dip stick. I determined the difference and cut a piece of hose. pushed it up in the cup on the handle. All was well.

Mine reads high on the dipstick too. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to great lengths to get maximum fuel economy. Most "high-milers" don't start with a Sport Trac, BTW. ;)