took the S.Trac to Algonquin & back!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
I put this post under 'Fuel and MPG' because I was SO impressed with the efficiency of my Trac this weekend. Algonquin Provincial Park is a good 600kms from where I live and Man OH Man, was it ever beautiful this weekend. The weather didn't exactly co-operate, but thats what camping is all about ;)

the scenery was absolutely gorgeous and we even saw 2 moose!! I've never seen a moose in real life before so I was hell bent on spotting one this weekend. They are huuuge animals, and breath-taking, really.

Anyway, onto the MPG.. Didn't do much driving once we got to the camp sites except to get wood & ice etc. But 1000 kms and went through a whole tank for the trip there and back. I was pretty convinced I would be throwing down a full tank on the way there and a full tank on the way back, but each way I only went through half a tank. THERE IS HOPE!! Even tho my S.Trac isnt too fond of city kms, she suuuure loves the highway (except the crosswinds!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cmon now, do you really expect everybody to believe that you managed to get 745 miles/1200 km out of one tank of gas...was the ST being towed!!

alright well i tried it like 6 different times and I keep getting an error message on the MPG log form, so due to my frustration with the process I suppose we will not be finding out my overall MPG :(

L1tech.. You are correct, I re-checked the map and the distance is actually closer to 1000 kms so I did NOT get a full tank of gas to 1200 kms.

around 32 mpg (just a guess)???? you have a super trac!

what was your tank registering on the gas guage by the time you got home? Your trac has a 22.5 gal tank or 20.5?

at best I only average around 23-25 mpg over the road (good driving habits.)

I have a 22.5 gal tank in my 04,

Do you have a tuner? CAI? other toys? ????

You were going down hill all the way, weren't you ShaunT? :D

GM,

The terrain closer to algonquin was very hilly terrain, I was using Cruise Control most of the time on the highway, and maintained a speed of 110km/hr and my RPMs were hovering around 2500. So it was right in the sweet spot for the old girl. I also JUST had a tire rotation and oil change the day before the trip, which helped a lot as well. I wonder if the new K&N drop-in filter would have contributed to such great MPG??

When I filled up to leave for the trip, I had to fill 3/4s of a tank, so that was $80. Then when I got to Algonquin, my gas gauge read 1/2 full (im an optimist, can u tell? ;)). So Monday Morning I filled up again, just incase, and when i got home, again my tank was half full. So I drove to work this morning with half a tank of gas.

I'm not 100% on which tank I have, but Im gonna go ahead and guess the 22.5 ? I drive an '03 XLT

Well, if he is going by using only 1/2 a tank each way, we all know the top half of the fuel gage is bigger than the bottom half! :lol:

cruise control does help, I use it over the road on my long trips

it is possible ShaunT just unusual for an ST. :)

downhill there and back?! definitely not

That is not true. Dad used to walk three miles to school in deep snow, uphill both ways!!!;)

From the comments I seen, nobody actually read your post. When it said this it was perfectly clear.

But 1000 kms and went through a whole tank for the trip there and back.

And then you said...

I was pretty convinced I would be throwing down a full tank on the way there and a full tank on the way back, but each way I only went through half a tank.

In their defense, you writing is hard to decifer. You could have rambled on a little less and used better words.

I was able to understand it though. Took me a few times though.

Tom

:) i got it the first time. he originally said he went 1200km which according to L1tech is 745 miles to one tank.(that''s what seemeed funny to most of us) well that is how I read it when shaunt said he was at a half tank when he got there and when he got back home was on a half tank. I guesstimated on 32 mpg ..the average highway miledge new would be 21 mpg. (well for my trac)well new for an 04 xlt.

1000 km = 600 miles? the average ST stock gets 21-24 mpg sometimes more.. so he avg then what? around 26 mpg ...I can belive that b/c I avg around 24-25. with nothing different and with a drop in filter as well.... but his original posts did say 1200 km not 1000 km.

so yes ShaunT that is very possible and great gas miledge for your 03! :)

I get about 17 mpg on my commute to work and back.

After I fill up and run the tank down to halfway, I have traveled about 225 miles. If I were to divide 225 by 11.25 gallons (half tank), I would be getting 20 mpg.

It is not accurate to use "half a tank" to determine mileage. The gas gauge moves faster the closer it gets to empty.

:)

right but originally he didnt list how much he paid for gas per gallon or maybe lt in his case. and I agree it does empty quicker on the down side of the gauge

sheesh...

regardless it was a great trip with more gas in my tank then expected when i arrived home. end of story

thanks for all your concern and english lessons ;) :lol:

Why does everyone sound like they get such good gas mileage? When I fill my truck up all the way it says I have around 260 miles... i only average like 11 mpg around town and i dont drove fast/heavy on the pedal

I get a minimum of 400 to 420 miles per tank.

You are driving it too hard or you are driving it in bumper to bumper traffic. You also may be one of those people that thinks they need to et it warm up for a half hour before they go somewhere. Anyways, you are doing something to cause the bad mileage.

Tom

:lol: ShaunT nobody was correcting english *really* and I was only trying to understand how you got such great gas miledge is all. :)

In town driving I don't get as good as miledge..probably cause I take off too quickly...

over the road I get a much better miledge.

Anthony, you have an 07 V6, if it is not anything such as Caymen has suggested,

you might want to have the Ford shop check that out. You should be getting better than that..older V6 owners 01-05 are getting better than that.

Latest posts