Torque converter lock-up ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Is it normal for our transmission to go into torque converter lockup, when cruising at a steady 35-37mph? The OD comes in at 42mph. I have never noticed till as of late that the converter, lockup before OD comes in. Other Fords I have had, the converter locked after OD came in.

The trans is stable and shifting correctly. NO light of death. Just my curiosity.

Thanks, Eddie

Ed,

Actually on the ST the converter does lock up in each gear at different times...

Wounder where the extra heat and wear in our trannys comes from...LOL :lol::lol:

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. Yup you would think the trans would run cooler if the converter stops slippage at lower speeds.

My question is, why when I am towing a 4000# TT behind my 07 STrac V8, does the tranny hunt back and forth in top gear and what can I do about it. It cuts my gas mileage to 10MPG at 65 +? I tried running in 3rd and with OD off, but that drops the mileage even more. If I could lock out the converter I think I could make 12 MPG towing. BTW I get 20 solo hyway and 15-16 local mpg.

I think a higher rear axle ratio would help, stock being a 3.55. :(

Bob

bob, you have a 6 speed transmission in that truck..... Just try the OD off and see, unfortunately the converter will still lock up...

The only way to help you is to purchase a computer programmer and re flash your computer with a towing tune...

Todd Z