Torque on lug nuts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look in owners manual. Same as any other wheel. Or, real tight with your lug wrench and don't worry about some torque number.

A good general rule is 100 for trucks, and 85 for cars. Occasionaly you'll run across a car that only needs 65-70 ft/lbs, but that's not often and it's all dependent on the lugs/nuts used.

I was told by the dealer that I bought my 20s from that the lugs should be re-tightened after the first 50 miles of driving. I do not have a 3/4 torque wrench, so I just check them every so often and make sure they are tight.

Gary-

Jack up the wheel you're working on so that the weight of the vehicle is mostly off the wheel, but so that the tire is still touching the ground enough so it won't spin; this way the wheel will be allowed to settle unto the hub without the weight of the vehicle preventing the wheel from getting square. One-hundred foot/pounds is a little more then hand tight. Most people can easily torque to 150 ft/lbs with a standard lug wrench. Make sure the lug nuts are snug...just remember that one reason you don't want to over torque the lug nuts is so that if you have a problem on the road, you'll be able to remove the lug nuts with a standard lug wrench.