Torsion bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their torsion bars?

The guys at Superlift are telling me that is probably the reason for my lift not being as high as it should be. They said they get calls everyday from customers in regards to their lifts not being as tall as they say. They said it happens alot on the Chevy's but they had have owners of Rangers experiencing the same thing as well.

I guess I can see that maybe after a while the bar would fatigue, after enough stress.

Hmm. Maybe call ford and ask them about failing torsion bars after a certain amount of years. See if they get complaints about suspensions bottoming out. Lifted or not, the bars are doing the same thing.(while talking to the ford people, leave out the fact that you have lifted your truck)

Does the truck not seem like it is lifted as high as it should be? Are you having troubles fitting the tires?

Chad, i am not up 100% on this, but the torsion bars are stamped and rated. Something like A being the strongest and E being the weakest. I may be backwards on it. There can be sagging in the weaker ones and I have heard of guys upgrading to the stronger ones.

To be more specific I will need to do a little researching on it.

Actually a Sport Trac has the strongest of Ford's torsion bars. A few Ranger owners swap in ST bars for more stiffness.

They could be fatigued but I doubt it, I guess they are adjustable with the lift on just like they are on a stock truck.

The sticker in my door says 1 2 under SPR. I am assuming this is the spring rate of the torsion bars. I may try a set and see if it changes anything. They are about 60.00 each, if they dont work I will just return them to the dealer.

My main concern is that my torsion bar bolts are tightened/screwed all the way in, there is no more adjustment, and that does not seem correct.