tow a trailer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all , i was windering if anyone can help me out. The wife and I willing be buying a 21' tralier next summer and i was wondering if i need a sway bar to help out with keeping the tralier straight and narrow. I already know that i have to buy a class 3 trailer hitch , but i was wondering about the sway bar set up , is it a good idea or not , let me know , thanks People

Definitely a good idea. However I think you will notice more of a difference with new shocks. I know everyone here stresses new shocks, but they are most noticeable when towing a trailer. I tow a 20' boat weighing about 3000#. I had the sway bar taken off for other reason and added shocks (Rancho RSX's) and they worked great.

I have the ee sway bar, rancho rxs shocks and roadmaster active suspension for what I tow. See below. If you are going with a big trailer checkout what Roadmaster has to say.

http://www.roadmasterok.com/

[Broken External Image]:

It's about 5000lbs with the trailer. It's not a full size backhoe, only 22 horse 4 wheel drive. I mow my lawn with it's 60in deck!

I tow a 19', 3500 lb (empty) pop-up with the original shocks, no sway and electric brakes. I tow at or over the speed limit, with OD on on flat terrain and OD off on the hills. I use the cruise control all the time. I've never had a sway prblem only the after bounce from crappy shocks.

The only thing I added for towing is some universal fit towing mirrors since the PU is wider than the Trac and with the AC in the middle of roof the rear view is very limited.

The ST is a great camper towing vehicle for a family of 5.

I think he means a sway control for the trailer. With a 21' you could get by without it but if it's me I get one anyway.

Visit rv.net and log onto the forum that covers your specific type of trailer. Mucho info there...some good som ebad. But lots of info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent,

I tow a 23' Rockwood Roo hybrid travel trailer. I've installed Rancho RSX shocks, the EE sway bar, and a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit. Those help with the sway, bounce, and load-bearing ability of the ST itself.

For towing, I have a Ford OEM Class III receiver and Equal-i-zer weight distribution/sway control hitch. Get the Class III receiver from our site sponsor Rusty at www.fordpartsfast.com

I would definitely recommend the Equal-i-zer hitch or an equivalent type. This will make your towing experience much better. I just got back from camping at Natural Bridge, VA last weekend, and the ST towed my trailer like a champ!:)

As for the mods to your ST, these will help your Trac to better bear the load of towing, but from your original post, it sounds like what you're looking for is an Equal-i-zer type of hitch.

Oh, and if you weren't already aware, you'll need a brake controller installed as well.

Here's my rig:

[Broken External Image]:

Here's what a Ford hitch looks like. I had mine sprayed with Line-X prior to installation to prevent rust from developing

[Broken External Image]:

More pictures in my library...

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately need a sway control. 'prolly need load levelers, also. i put load range C LT tires on my trac, and boy, did it make a difference!!! only busses passing affect me now... see profile for pics

STanner,

An Equal-i-zer hitch and Roadmaster Active Suspension kit should take care of any load leveling issues. It works just fine for me.

Equal-i-zer hitch = "load levelers" in my dictionary....:lol: although, i have the reese system w/ the separate sway control, whereas the Equalizer system combines the two....