Towing a Boat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon W9

Reaction score
I am borowing the neighbors 17' bow-rider next week to take Up North an sit on the water. Oh yeah, 2002 ST, if that matters at all.

The boat is less than 3500, so I should be able to just use the bumper mount. It this correct? I will be towing about 300 miles in each direction, and just som typical Michigan rolling hills, no mountains or anything.

With this set-up, will I still need to disengage O.D.?

I am leaving saturday, so if I MUST get a hitch, please let me know ASAP so I can located one locally.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The boat is less than 3500, so I should be able to just use the bumper mount. It this correct?

Maybe. If you're bumber is about the same height as the hitch of the trailer is when the trailer is sitting level, you will be ok. If it is a lot higher, your hitch weight might not be enough, and the trailer might sway.

With this set-up, will I still need to disengage O.D.?

Maybe... See how it tows on level ground. If the tranny hunts in and out of OD, turn the OD off. Occasional downshifts on hills is probably ok. Of course, the manual says never to tow in OD... I tow a trailer weighing 3500 lb and it depends on the road and the wind whether I can use OD or not. A 17' boat might weigh in at 2500lb fully loaded, but the pointed bow will cut through the air much better that the big frontal area of a travel trailer, so OD might be more of an option for you.

Any chance you can hook up to the boat/trailer tonight and see how/if it works?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to get with him tomorrow and check it out before hitting the road. I am at stock height with the ST, so I will have to wait and see how they line up.

Thanks for the input.

I personally would get the trailer hitch installed. It will always be there for you in the future when needed. If you decide no trailer hitch then you need to crawl under the rear bumper and tighten down the bumper mounting bolts. I would break them loose first and then crank them back down.

I think that would be a good idea to get a hitch too if you could do so this quick. That way you would have it when you needed it again.

Of course, I have one to tow my travel trailer, and because I've had it, I've used it to help other people tow a few things too. I bought one of those adjustable recievers at Harbor Frieght so I can adjust the ball height to where I want it when I'm towing something other than my trailer. Also have a convert-a-ball, so I have 1 7/8" thru 2 5/8" capability. For my trailer, I have a weight-distributing, antisway hitch. Had a 7 pin plug hooked up too, because I do have a brake controler, but a simple adapter will get you back to either a 4 or 5 pin plug.