Towing Brake wireing??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am close to buying an enclosed trailer and was wondering what is needed to haul a trailer w/brakes. I have an 07 job 1. I found a small wiring harness in the glove box but I am not sure what to do with it. Are there any other parts to buy?

Thanks, Jacque

That harness may be the harness you need. Visit a reputable hitch shop and tell them what you have.

They will give you what you need.

Tom

Hopefully you have the class III/IV tow option on your ST which includes the round 7 pin wiring connector at the rear of your truck. The round 7 pin connector has all the wiring functionality that you will need for the trailer brakes. The only thing you need to purchase is a Brake Controller. The wiring harness in your glove box plugs in under your dash, and you will wire the brake controller (4 wires) to the harness. The brake controller is an electronic device that proportions the trailer braking force with your truck. It gradually applies more brake pressure to the trailer brakes as you continue to push the brake pedal in the truck.

I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. IMO it's the best on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will check into getting the brake controller. I figured it was gonna require buying something - nothing comes cheap. At least the install should be easier with that harness.

Thx, Jacque