Towing Capacity Question

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Harold Knutzak

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
I have a 2002 2WD V6. I'm wondering about towing a 20' center console boat (3300 lbs. +/-). I would be towing about 150 miles approximately every two weeks. I live in South Central Florida so its relatively flat terrain and speed would be around 60mph. Any thoughts?
Thanx
Harry

Last edited:

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Towing 3300Lb on level road at speed should be okay,
assuming engine+tranny have been serviced regularly & are in good order.
I'd be concerned with it being 2WD & not being able to shift a 4x4TransferCase into LowRange
when you need to pull boat out of the water & up the ramp. You haven't noted the Diff Ratio?
At a minimum, I'd double the size of the TransCooler, add Fan(s)+TempSwitch to the TransCooler,
& bypass that ATF line thru the Radiators LeftSide.

okanor

Reaction score
Towing 3300Lb on level road at speed should be okay,
assuming engine+tranny have been serviced regularly & are in good order.
I'd be concerned with it being 2WD & not being able to shift a 4x4TransferCase into LowRange
when you need to pull boat out of the water & up the ramp. You haven't noted the Diff Ratio?
At a minimum, I'd double the size of the TransCooler, add Fan(s)+TempSwitch to the TransCooler,
& bypass that ATF line thru the Radiators LeftSide.
I didn't even consider pulling it out of the water. That's certainly something to consider. My 2001 had 4wd and low range + having a manual transmission was simply awesome for getting out of spots.

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
PS:
Hope you catch lots of fish in that ConsoleBoat;
wish I were in FL wetting a hook in my own boat!

curtis james

Reaction score
You should be fine, i have towed a 20 foot alumaweld thru mountains many times, my only issues was the shifting on hills, programmer took care of that. florida is much flatter then oregon coast range. i had to put in 4wd a few times pulling out of ramps from being wet and mossy. with 2 wd i would make sure ramps are not to steep.

Todd Z

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Make sure cooling system, and trans are up to the task, Maybe add additional trans cooler as well.

Latest posts