Towing Capacity Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2002 2WD V6. I'm wondering about towing a 20' center console boat (3300 lbs. +/-). I would be towing about 150 miles approximately every two weeks. I live in South Central Florida so its relatively flat terrain and speed would be around 60mph. Any thoughts?
Thanx
Harry

Last edited:
Towing 3300Lb on level road at speed should be okay,
assuming engine+tranny have been serviced regularly & are in good order.
I'd be concerned with it being 2WD & not being able to shift a 4x4TransferCase into LowRange
when you need to pull boat out of the water & up the ramp. You haven't noted the Diff Ratio?
At a minimum, I'd double the size of the TransCooler, add Fan(s)+TempSwitch to the TransCooler,
& bypass that ATF line thru the Radiators LeftSide.

Towing 3300Lb on level road at speed should be okay,
assuming engine+tranny have been serviced regularly & are in good order.
I'd be concerned with it being 2WD & not being able to shift a 4x4TransferCase into LowRange
when you need to pull boat out of the water & up the ramp. You haven't noted the Diff Ratio?
At a minimum, I'd double the size of the TransCooler, add Fan(s)+TempSwitch to the TransCooler,
& bypass that ATF line thru the Radiators LeftSide.
I didn't even consider pulling it out of the water. That's certainly something to consider. My 2001 had 4wd and low range + having a manual transmission was simply awesome for getting out of spots.

PS:
Hope you catch lots of fish in that ConsoleBoat;
wish I were in FL wetting a hook in my own boat!

You should be fine, i have towed a 20 foot alumaweld thru mountains many times, my only issues was the shifting on hills, programmer took care of that. florida is much flatter then oregon coast range. i had to put in 4wd a few times pulling out of ramps from being wet and mossy. with 2 wd i would make sure ramps are not to steep.

Make sure cooling system, and trans are up to the task, Maybe add additional trans cooler as well.

Glad I found this thread. i have a 20' Center Console on order and it weighs about 3300lbs also. I figured add another 1000lbs for gear, food, ice, fish, etc..My ST is a 2004 with 4wd. I'll be sure to add trans cooler.

Harold I'm jealous of your location. I use to live in Dunedin Fl. I'm up in Mass now and will be fishing the cape area.

Glad I found this thread. i have a 20' Center Console on order and it weighs about 3300lbs also. I figured add another 1000lbs for gear, food, ice, fish, etc..My ST is a 2004 with 4wd. I'll be sure to add trans cooler.

Harold I'm jealous of your location. I use to live in Dunedin Fl. I'm up in Mass now and will be fishing the cape area.
Cape has some great fishing numbers! But the weather up there leaves a lot to be desired, as you know from this past week.

I have a 2002 2WD V6. I'm wondering about towing a 20' center console boat (3300 lbs. +/-). I would be towing about 150 miles approximately every two weeks. I live in South Central Florida so its relatively flat terrain and speed would be around 60mph. Any thoughts?
Thanx
Harry
Harry …..chris I also live in central fla
Belle isle. S/t 1 do you fix your own truck…I have many parts to trade
Or even better to work on trucks together are you a back yard mechanic