Towing Mirrors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Willey

Reaction score
One thing I have learned is that there isn’t a lot of aftermarket towing mirrors, nor does there seem to be much interest in developing a good towing mirror for the ST. With the introduction of the 2007 V8, that might change. What is available seems to provide inconsistent result to the users.

The biggest complaint I have read about is how wind vibration knocks the mirrors out of adjustment and in some instances loosens the straps to the point the mirror falls off. This happened to us with the CIPA Model 11960 Universal Towing Mirror. My wife caught the mirror as she opened her window at a tow booth.

I have installed (strapped on) a CIPA model 11952 Universal Towing Mirror. It has been OK, but I don’t want to adjust it out of fear it will start slipping while driving. You know the old axiom, “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”

Train Trac is using this product that is available through Camper World

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=10438&src=SRQB

I don't have a problem with mine. Yes, they vibrate a little at highway speeds, but they've never fallen off and have performed well for me.

I too had problems with the type of towing mirror you descibe. Both with vibration and the wind changing the settings. Then I found a pair of mirrors thats fit over the stock mirriors with a aerodynamic plastic housing that matches very closely to the original look. The mirrors inside stay complety stable, and they are out of the wind. There is a picture of the mirriors in my library. If you look carefully at the picture with the horse trailer, you will see that the mirriors are "longer" than stock. These units simply slide over the existing housing, and are held in place by a j-hook and screw, very easy and solid. I found them at a local RV supplier. They are made by "Custom Towing Mirrior Limited" and are marked model 2200A for "Late 1995-1997 Ford Explorer - Ranger". I am completly happy with these, and they were only about $50.00 for the pair.

Zeke