towing question ST2002

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
How do I determine the proper weight limit for towing?

I imagine the number of passengers and weight in the bed and roof have an impact.

Then how do I determine if I'm within safe limits?

by safe, I mean not over stressing the AT.

Thanks

Uh...got an Owner's Manual? If not, check for a placard on the hitch. If no hitch don't bother going to U-Haul for one as they will not touch a Ford Explorer or Explorer Sport Trac.

Here's a 2002 ST manual if you need one.

If you stay under the gcvwr, you'll be ok. I have the same truck and I'm right at the limit or over without problems, even at 255k miles. The only way to measure it go to a set of public scales. 10% tongue weight, load levelers and sway control are a must, IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
TIMO said:
I got factory tow option (ball and harness connector)

I got a easy on trailer

Thanks for the info

If you mean the factory bumper ball mount, that is effectively a class II hitch and rated for about 3500 lb (it's embossed in the step plate). The truck itself is rated to tow 5040 lb as mentioned above but only with a hitch rated for that. I had a class III/IV Hidden Hitch installed on my old '05. Also most states require some sort of trailer brakes if the trailer is over 2000 lb. The weight and brake requirements vary by state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts