Towing question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan E 2

Reaction score
So my parents just bought a 27ft camper, the specs says it weighs in at 4,055 lbs. What I have been reading is the 01 trac can tow 5,040. My trac has the trans cooler already installed. I would not be towing this more than 100 miles or so on pretty flat ground. Is this a little to much for the trac? I know I could just use my dads f-150 but would love it if I could just use my trac! I thought about doing an add a leaf to help with the squat that would happen. Thoughts/Opinions?

I think I would try weight distribution bars so that you didn't have to put up with a harsh ride when not towing.

Also, the transmission is probably the most critical component on wear and tear when towing. You're short trip distance would help that.

Be sure to include the weight of on board materials when considering tow options. Maybe weigh fully loaded at a road side weigh station? You might be surprised how much more you might be towing.

As long as you are using a Class III frame mounted hitch and not the bumper hitch you should be safe. Transmission coolers are standard on ALL ST's. When towing it's VERY important to disable the overdrive, allow at least twice the normal stopping distance, and avoid high winds. You may also consider the linked Monroe 58617 Sensa Trac Load Adjusting shocks that many have installed with great results for less than $100 per pair shipped.

2001 Owners Manual (Page 143)

The rear bumper is equipped with an integral hitch and requires only a ball with a 19 mm (3/4 inch) shank diameter. Bumper has a 1 590 kg (3 500 lb.) trailer weight and 159 kg (350 lb.) tongue weight capability. Use a frame-mounted weight distributing hitch for trailers over 1 590 kg (3 500 lb).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, check the tongue weight. A Dutchmen 24' dual axle camper has an 880 lb tongue weight unloaded. The overall weight of the camper is within my ST limits but the tongue weight is way too much. That's without the battery, LP tanks filled, and the fresh water tank filled....all of which are right at the front of the camper. Don't just assume the overall weight is the only limiting factor.

remember to add a brake controller. the ST can pull the weight but over 1500 trailer weight and you need the electric trailer brake unit to get it stopped safely

Latest posts